Home
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm 

Ya canna beat a wee bit a'early mornin pain Mike. :evil:

The card you used to book should be handy when you arrive at the check in booth, usually you simply need the booking number to punch in to the machine. I write the number on the back of my Passport, via a sticky label, that way it's to hand on the way back as well.

I wish you luck with the breathalyser thingy, I've been waiting for over a week, better not get too drunk huh! :?

Apart from a few Euros you seem to have it covered Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 pm 

BikerMike wrote:
Having not travelled by Eurotunnel on the bike before, are there any specific requirments or helpfull hints that I should be aware of?
Just have your Booking ref and your Credit/Debit card that you booked the crossing with to hand. When you arrive If you go to an unmanned booth just follow the on screen instructions, I usually put my card in the machine instead of trying to punch the booking ref number in. At a manned booth you just need to hand over the Booking ref.

You might need to show your Passport going through PP control

Its all easy Mike and far quicker than the Ferry.

http://www.leighsafes.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 am 

If you go to the unmanned machines, just check that the train ticket spat out if for the train you want. Sometimes it will put you onto an earlier train. No big deal, unless you want to be on a specific later train with some chums.

Follow the on-screen instructions, which will allow you to check what train the machine is about to spit the ticket out for. You then have an option to change the train's time. If required, make the change and all will then be well. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having the wrong letter, my advice is to ignore it and join your friends anyway.

====

Depending on how many bikes and cars there are it is quite possible that not everyone will be in the same carriage, any more than they would be loaded in the same part of a ferry. Again, no big deal. I see that Geoff has routed us through the petrol station on exit, I guess so that we can all gather up there? It's a good idea and something I do when heading south with a sizeable group. it is impossible to miss the fuel station, or at least it should be as there is only one road out of the train. The station is on your left about 3/4 of a mile after leaving the train before you reach the motorway.

Loading is a complete lottery. Sometimes it's ride down the left of the carriage, sometimes the right. Usually it's park turned in to the left in gear with the side stand down, front wheel hard up to the edge of the walkway.. Sometimes it is DO NOT leave your rear tyre on the silver oily grating for fear of death, sometimes it's do. Sometimes it's park in long lines, straight ahead. The only variant I have not had is facing backwards whilst whistling Dixie..... It's only a matter of time.

When the train arrives there is always a short delay between halting and disembarkation beginning. This is for 'safety checks to be carried out' or so they say. Either way, the doors will not open in a flash. There is then a further delay whilst the vehicles in front of you all get going..... Don't fire your engine up until it's time for you to start moving, unless you are a knob head. All it does is make a lot of noise and gas the poor sod behind you.

Sometimes there are additional delays. These vary between, stalled vehicles, stuck inter-carriage doors, drivers asleep, kids p*ssing about in the vehicle and being beaten soundly by their parents, bods feeding their pets, someone who really cannot wait five minutes more to kill themselves sparking up a fag in the bog.... so setting the bloody fire alarms off. I have had all of these and more in over 200 crossings. Either way, it's a vast improvement on the ferry and more often than not plain sailing.

Last edited by Birota automataria levis on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 am 

.... and don't stand up on the pegs whilst riding down the train :wink:

Last edited by scotty on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 am 

London Marathon day.

Usual pain in the butt if you live between The Highway, Tower Bridge and the Thames. Roads closed for hours, to let some bod dressed as a hippo waddle past.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:10 pm 

Birota automataria levis wrote:
London Marathon day.

Usual pain in the butt if you live between The Highway, Tower Bridge and the Thames. Roads closed for hours, to let some bod dressed as a hippo waddle past.

And Sir, per chance it slipped your notice, the finest Marathon runners in the World and loads of dosh being raised for good causes. :D

Pain! gimme a break. :?

Help others. If you can't help them, at least don't harm them. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:26 pm 

I have attached a Route Plan for the ride. The appropriate map is Michelin Sheet 301 Pas-de-Calais, Somme.

Attachments:
Calais-Cassel - Cap Griz Nez-Calais route.gdb [286.63 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

Stupid question? Do I need a GB sticker on the bike like I do on the car?
Do I also need to do anything about a 'legal' number plate?

Advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 am 

Hi Geoff.

I know in previous years you've had lunch at Le Touquet, but although you said in your first post "lunch in Le Touquet" the route does'nt come within 15 miles of there. The reason I am asking is that I will be in the area that weekend ( day out to Honfluer) and was going to catch up with you at lunch time on the way home. Can you confirm your lunch stop and roughly what time.

Cheers.

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 am 

BikerMike wrote:
Stupid question? Do I need a GB sticker on the bike like I do on the car?
Do I also need to do anything about a 'legal' number plate?

Advice would be welcome.

Cheers.
I would not bother with either Mike :wink: But if you do fancy a new Legal number plate then you could kill 2 birds with one stone and get the GB on the new plate...

http://www.leighsafes.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 pm 

Stuart Daniels wrote:
Hi Geoff.

I know in previous years you've had lunch at Le Touquet, but although you said in your first post "lunch in Le Touquet" the route does'nt come within 15 miles of there. The reason I am asking is that I will be in the area that weekend ( day out to Honfluer) and was going to catch up with you at lunch time on the way home. Can you confirm your lunch stop and roughly what time.

Cheers.

Stuart

Stuart,
I've attached the route in Mapsource. If you zoom in on Le Touquet you will see a Car Park symbol on the Promenade road. Dis am de place. ETA around 14.00 hrs.

Mines Moules Mariniere with Champers! :wink:

The previous Route Plan was incorrect, this is the correct version.

Attachments:
French day ride (word).docx [14.48 KiB]
Downloaded 158 times
Cassel day ride 2.gdb [158.05 KiB]
Downloaded 154 times

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 am 

Well the weather forecast for Sunday doesn't look good.
It appears to be 60% chance of rain. (England and France)
Get your wets out folks. :cry:

Unless Geoff you can navigate around the damp patches. :?:

I seem to recall the last ride I went on which you lead (Beachy Head last year) was wet too. Is this your fault? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 am 

Climate change, famine in Africa, hurricanes in the mid-west, yep all down to me Mike but hey! look on the bright side, ya don't have to smear that messy sun bloc all over. 8)

Keep the rubber on the road. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:16 pm 

i prefere the sun. but. rain or shine i wish i was going. it feels like i have not done a thing on my bike for years. in fact i think its quite fun in the wet. i slow down a bit. you lot vanish over the horizon. we have a coffee stop and make out we are moaning about the rain while laughin at the situation :lol: itz great fun tho init. coz we are out on our bikes riding in the wet while becoming beta riders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm 

Are you not comin' spider???

Of course not, you have no heated grips....
Or
You're probably getting wet elsewhere....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next