Home
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kop Hill, hillclimb
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm 

Guyon wrote:
Geoff Preston wrote:
Graham and co,

The route planned is fifty seven miles long and estimated running time is one and a half hours from Birchanger, or whatever name it is being given, to Kop Hill. :?

I would have attached the route but unfortunately, as far as I know, that facility is no longer available. Still, it makes it more interesting and also, you won't know if I go wrong. :lol:

Help others. If you can't help them, at least don't harm them. :wink:

I started my observer test there. When I was a lad it was called Start hill. In the winter you could earn 50p pushing the cars up the slip roads and buy chips on the way home..............................................of course I can also remember when it was all fields.

Guy,

The reference is to the start point, not the Hill! :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am 

Graham,

I have been taking a 'more than casual' interest in the weather predictions for Sunday and to say it doesn't look good would be somewhat understating the case. :shock:

Now it is well documentated in these 'ere parts that my aversion to the wet stuff, particularly when coupled with wind and cold is legendary, so it will come as no surprise that I shall not be joining you tomorrow. :cry:

The Meteorologist's could be wrong of course! but I'm not holding my breath.

I am disappointed because it is over fifty years since I last attended a meet and I was looking forward to it with great anticipation. :(

I thank you for offering the opportunity and, of course I will reimburse you the Entry cost.

If you consider another in the future I would certainly wish to join you.

Many thanks.

Keep the rubber on the road :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 pm 

Well, well. :(

C'mon....... cold??? - the clocks don't change for another month or more.

On John and Audrey's trip to Bavaria this year the consensus view was that if there was a choice between riding in 35C heat or torrential rain then the torrential rain won hands down. So whatever the weather I'll be there and since our group leader has called it a day and his route was a secret I can get you there with any choice of route - sat nav in the head an all that :D

Kind regards

Colin - don't ride in - Snow :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 pm 

I quite understand Geoff. I'm not certain how much hill climbing will go on in the wet. What do the others think?

Does any one know the route, I'm studying the map now, but it's difficult to read on the bike?

graham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:16 pm 

well done Colin, See you at the services.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:25 pm 

Hi Graham

I meet you in services, We should get there in the dry anyway ( Services ) . Its only 57 miles west so it will be a interesting ride what ever the weather does

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 pm 

rain ! so what. i dont mind riding in the rain but ride a bit slower i guess, but i wont moan and groan. its a day out and after going back to work. slaving in the sherbert dab wif mr and mrs oh i am in a rush drive really fast. get to destination and they start looking for some money. meter goes up another quid while i wait. oh hum. all this in my 18 hours a day shift whilst trying to earn a crust and keep my head above water. you bet your ass i am going. c ya sunday seeley gang

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:57 am 

morning all. just looked at early weather report. it sez rain starts about 11am with a cold wind. stops raining about 11pm. so all we gota do is stay in the pub after it finishes and ride home at midnight lol. colin u went there to check it out. you can b in charge of showing us a spot where the wind is behind us if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:17 am 

I have never been to Kopp hill, but as a hill climb regular I am sure rain will not stop play unless there is water running across the hill on a corner. I have too work now, which is a shame. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:21 am 

Geoff Preston wrote:
Guyon wrote:
Geoff Preston wrote:
Graham and co,

The route planned is fifty seven miles long and estimated running time is one and a half hours from Birchanger, or whatever name it is being given, to Kop Hill. :?

I would have attached the route but unfortunately, as far as I know, that facility is no longer available. Still, it makes it more interesting and also, you won't know if I go wrong. :lol:

Help others. If you can't help them, at least don't harm them. :wink:

I started my observer test there. When I was a lad it was called Start hill. In the winter you could earn 50p pushing the cars up the slip roads and buy chips on the way home..............................................of course I can also remember when it was all fields.

Guy,

The reference is to the start point, not the Hill! :?

I know Geoff. Birchanger Services was called Start hill. At least locally it was. Maybe it was not the official name. Beings I lived in Birchanger maybe it was called that to save confusion and to stop us from going "home" to McDonalds each evening. I was easily confused as a kid...............nothing changes. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:24 pm 

Hi Graham thanks for organising a good day out i am sure you will soon be a full member soon and count me in for a ticket next year i think the gods cried on us !!
Thanks Colin for the well planned route, and Spider for the entertainment and tea, hopefully might see you all at the BBQ next week

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 pm 

cheers graham 4 sorting out the event. cheers colin for the route in your head getting us there and back. cheers gill 4 spotting the hugger problem. 1 day and £80 odd quid wuda been wasted brother. shame we had a bit of rain lads but it is england and the show must go on. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 pm 

Thanks Graham for bringing this event to our attention and going to the trouble of getting advance tickets. I wouldn't have missed it for the world and next year's event will be a definite date on the calendar. Some of the engineering on display was absolutely incredible not only the vintage cars and bikes but some of the specials like the car with a body in polished brass. Thanks Spider for keeping our spirits up. We did have a dry ride there and a chance to walk around the paddock in the dry as well. Remember the met office have never lived down the '87 hurricane - what hurricane?? when you look at the weather forecast.

Kind regards

Col

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 am 

Got soaked to the skin, saw some terrific bikes and cars and met some great guys. What more could I ask from a motorbike club? We must do this next year. :lol:

Jagues, what happened to you. We waited till 8.10 but had to go. Unfortunatly the tickets for you and your son were pre-paid, could you please let me have £10 in the near future?