Home
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm 

Our finale ride for this season to the Massif Central from Friday 5th to Tuesday 7th October was our first ride to be fully subscribed but one of our participants has had to cancel due to a work commitment. We are therefore able offer a place in a single room for £440.00. It may be possible for us to extend this to a double or twin room but we would need to confirm this with the hotels.

With higher daily mileage, our 2012 finale to the Massif Central is for experienced riders. Leaving Calais we ride south to a charming, warm and friendly family hotel close to Montigny-la Resle that features comfortable rooms set in renovated old country houses. The rooms are spacious and bright and offer all the facilities you would expect. From here we continue south on a scenic route to Le Mont-Dore, south west of Clermont-Ferrand.

Located at the bottom of the Auvergne’s highest summit, in the very heart of the Massif du Sancy, our hotel this year is located close to the town center of Mont Dore, a typical mountain village full of shops and varied entertainments. We stay here for two nights giving us the opportunity to explore the area or just chill out for a day.

Eighty dormant volcanoes of the Chaîne des Puys rise up over an area of some forty kilometres. From the summit of the Puy de Dôme, famous Cat 1 climb in the Tour de France, the highest of them all at 1,465 m, the chain reveals itself, majestic and mysterious. Here, each volcano uses its charms to impress. Some stand out by their bell shape, others display their shattered craters, a reminder of their former fury.

If you fancy a 300-mile Rideout you could reach the worlds highest road bridge at Millau but the route would include some péage. Alternatively we know some fabulous roads in the Cantal; the N122 that runs from Figeac through Aurillac to Massiac is superb. To do the full length from our base would be a big ask but the section from Aurillac to Massiac is within reach as are all ‘D’ roads within the area. I’ll work out a route that takes in the best of the area but leave the choice to you. As if this isn’t enough to quell the appetite of the most ardent rider, our return to Calais will include a ride through the Côte d’Or. What better way to end the season?

If you’d like to join us please let us know as soon as you can, booking will be on a first come first served basis. For further details, please refer to our brochure that can be found on the menu on the home page of this site.

http://reveillerrides.smugmug.com/Other ... 0004-M.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 pm 

just for the record. mr tipper was having a bad hair day when he wrote the dates. he meant 2 write

fri 5th oct to tuesday 9th. not the 7th

its starting to look like a late summer. so come and enjoy a well organised trip. you can always put off that job till next year

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm 

Thanks Spider, wear high heels and a dress and you can be my secretary. Second thoughts, Audrey would cut my allowance!

You're right of course, the date should have been Tuesday 9th but all in vain as the place has been taken.

Must have heard how much fun we'll be having. God willing, there's always next year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 am 

[quote="John Tipper"]Thanks Spider, wear high heels and a dress and you can be my secretary.

lol now there's a challenge i can't do :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 am 

Hi John
Is the space still available ? Need to check business comittments but would love to join you. She who must be obeyed would gladly hop on the back if we could get a double room ?
Terry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 am 

Quote:
Is the space still available ? Need to check business comittments but would love to join you. She who must be obeyed would gladly hop on the back if we could get a double room ?

At the moment the ride is full but one rider, who is sharing a twin room, is starting a new job this week and not 100% certain he will be able to get time off.

Send me an email (you can get my address from a printed issue of TUG) so I have your contact details and I'll let you know if space becomes available. If he can't make it we'll have a place in a shared room but I could contact the hotels to see if they have additional space available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 am 

Quote:
Send me an email (you can get my address from a printed issue of TUG) so I have your contact details

Terry, nothing came through!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hi John,
how close does your Sunday route get to Oradour-Sur-Glane?

http://www.francethisway.com/places/oradoursurglane.php

I have always wished to visit this place and wondered if you would mind if I took a detour from the route to see it?
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm 

Having looked at the Sunday route, it looks like I might have to make a decision on the day lol
or I could take off for Oradour on the Monday and catch up with the group again in the Hotel De La Post.