Home
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am 

Some of you may remember that in the February 2013 issue of TUG, I asked if your glass was half empty or half full and went on to explain why I had no problems with the number 13. Well, having seen the spring and early summer weather, I do confess to feeling skeptic about our weather but look at it now! So no reason not to join our annual Boys and Girls ride to the Cotswolds.

It was great to see so many girls out riding with Audrey last year; you don’t get many opportunities (if any) to ride with just girls so now’s your chance for a ride when you don’t have to compete with the boys. We look forward to seeing as many if not more join us this year.

We’ve booked the weather and will prepare a detailed route, both on paper and for Garmin if you have one. Email me if you’d like a copy. We’ve booked a coffee stop at the Buckingham Garden Centre and will have lunch on the green alongside the river at Bourton on the Water where parking is available. It can be busy, Bourton is a beautiful village, many brought sandwiches last year but there are several restaurants and a particularly good Fish and Chip shop in the center of the town available.

Our route will be 220 miles; all members, Full, Associate, riders with pillions and Spider are welcome. Please be realistic, you’ll have to add the mileage to and from Birchanger.

We’d appreciate some volunteers to lead and sweep if we decide to split into smaller groups. Please let us know if you’d like to help.

We’ll meet at Birchanger Services at 09:00 at the junction with the M11 and A120 and plan to depart by 09:30. Full tanks please. Our route will take us out on the A120 / A507 but we’ll peel off through Woburn Deer Park before taking a cross - country scenic route to Buckingham for Coffee. From there we take the A421 out towards the Cotswolds. We’ll ride the fabulous B4022 part of the Charlbury ‘Grand Prix’ route before making our way to Bourton on the Water. We’ll spend a couple of hours in Bourton before returning on the familiar A421 / A507 / A10 / A120 route to Birchanger.

We can’t think of a better way to spend a sunny Sunday. It’s not going to rain, is it?

John and Audrey

Please remember that you, the rider is deemed to be in control of your machine at all times during EAMG activities and you are legally responsible for your own actions. It is also your responsibility to ensure you have the correct driving license, insurance, road tax and MOT (if required) for your machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:14 pm 

High John.if Audrey or you or you John need a sweeper glad to do so.all the best doug maz x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hi John/Audrey,

Happy to help in any capacity, I come cheap!!

Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

hi. Never done this ride before so would love to join you. Written route would be good if you could ping me a PM please. x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 pm 

Geoff some of the least expensive things in life are the most treasured! :D thank you for your offer to sweep but Doug has a radio and will be able to keep in contact with me which is a comfort zone for me.
THEREFORE LADIES Full and Associate members alike join our day out and take the opportunity to gain more valuable experience of riding within a group and have the comfort of knowing that you will be looked after every mile of the way. The weather is looking good for the day so what more can one ask for!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:31 am 

Such a gracious let down Maam!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 am 

The weekend is fast approaching so we hope you are all looking forward to our Boys and Girls ride to Bourton on the Water in the Cotswolds.

Audrey and I rode the route last Saturday to find a couple of road closures and the closure of the petrol station in Bourton Town Centre.

The road through Steppingley, between the turnoff from the A507 by Ampthill and Woburn Deer Park is closed about ½ mile after the roundabout so we will divert through Ampthill rejoining the route where it crosses the M1. We will still be riding through Woburn Deer Park so particular caution there please. When we reach Woburn Town Centre, we will be going straight cross at the cross roads crossing the A5 to Heath and Reach. We will NOT be turning left on the A5120 to the A5. All is good from here via Buckingham Garden Centre for a snack to Bourton.

The Texaco petrol station in Bourton is closed but fuel is available on the A429 Bourton to Stow road, Texaco on the left as you leave Bourton and BP on the left as you reach Stow. Please let your leader know if you need fuel. We will also be stopping for fuel at the BP Station on the right on the A421 approaching Buckingham; a distance of 152 miles from Birchanger.

The A44 along Chipping Norton High Street was closed last Saturday but we found a short un-signposted diversion through the town. Turn right on the A361; turn left at the first roundabout then immediate left into Albion Street. Turn left then immediate right as you leave Albion Street back onto the A44 (don’t follow the official diversion it goes all the way Charlbury!)

We have amended the routes, both printed and .gpx for those with navigation, to include these amendments so please let me know by email if you’d like copies. My email address can be found at the bottom of page 43 in August's printed edition of TUG.

Bourton will be busy but what better way to spend a Sunday than riding through the Cotswolds and having lunch by the river in Bourton?

Hope to see you all on Sunday at Birchanger Services, M11/A120, Junction 8. Full tanks please.

John and Audrey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm 

Ah shame. For the first time in a good few years I'm going to miss this ride.
I will be in sunny France but I hope you all have a good day.
If Stuart Gray goes, hopefully he won't shed his trousers on the green this yer and put everyone off their ice creams! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 pm 

Thank you Audrey and John for a super day, especially Audrey for the care and leadership she displayed. The weather was kind to us and riding with the girls was a pleasure- it was good too to wave to the boys when they finally over took us! Hope Ian who didn't feel well got home ok. Pooh x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:21 am 

Was gud fun 2c my family of riders out and about. Thanks for leaders and mega thanks to steve 4 sweeping who done a superb job of hanging back while i practiced going round the bend...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 am 

Our thanks to all who joined us to make this such a fun ride for one and all. Our special thanks to Geoff for leading the other boy's group and our sweepers; Doug, Stephen and Nigel for doing such a stirling job.

John and Audrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm 

I dived straight onto the M11 due to the time of day so apologies for not popping into the Services.

John - thank you for organising the day ... and the weather :wink:

Thanks to Geoff and Nigel and topping and tailing my group.

My first social ride out for ages and give how long I was out it might me my last for a while too :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm 

Dear Management, thanks for a fun day out. Adrenalin topped up. Three hundred miles from door to door (and I only used a gallon and a half of fuel ?) Isn't it a shame that other road users need to come out on a Sunday, don't they know they get in the way. Got the bike out this morning to go to the bank and the battery had failed, hows that for a bit of luck. Hope Ian is OK after his grass cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 pm 

Paul,

Why not buy her a bike?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14 pm 

John Tipper wrote:
Paul,

Why not buy her a bike?

[1] She got scared sitting on my CBR600F with the engine off and on the centre stand
[2] Someones got to look after the kids :lol: