Home
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm 
I haven't done an EAMG ride to St Ives this year so the Full Member Social ride for December will be to the Local Cafe in St Ives. Please meet to leave Sainsburys Springfield Chelmsford at 9.30am.

Ride distance about 160 miles with a stop on the outward leg and fuel at about 120 miles. Ride to finish at Mac Donalds Boreham Services................................Richard P.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Weather looks good see you in the morning.

Nigel and laura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 am 

The spider is on his way home. See you all in the morning. Somebody get the teas in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:22 am 

Omg. Its pitch black. I don't do mornings. Opps thought this was our twitter feed. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:57 pm 

Many thanks to Richard for a very enjoyable run. Thanks also to Geoff for very graciously ceding his role as sweeper to me, since I was running in the KTM and would not be doing much in the way of progressive riding. It was great to get on some real roads again after the over-regulated specimens in Kent. There were ten of us in all and, certainly up to the point when I left the group to return home down the A10, everything seemed to go very well. Some felt the roads were a bit greasy but the new bike gave no indication that this was the case. I am delighted with it.

Pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks for another excellent ride Richard.
Makes going in to work more palatable. :?

Thanks back markers Geoff & Chris on his excellent new bike.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:38 pm 

greasy slippery roads. I slipped about quite a bit. even on a pull away it went do dah. cheers rich I like st ives. its bang on for the money. shame same thing happened as last time. at change over point for back marker. there was not one. I saw chris and caught him up. sed bye bye. then rode on my own through roads with water all over it. got soaked but great fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:57 pm 

My thanks too Richard.

Journey up especially good fun, despite the sliding about (half of us thought we must have punctures!)

On the journey back I couldn't see a bloody thing riding into the sun, which made the greasiness much less amusing - resulting in a significant loss of bottle on some bends (at least I think they were bends, the sun was full in my eyes). Sunglasses from Poundland didn't quite do the trick, (I may well go in tomorrow and ask for my £1 back) although when lifted my visor I realised I could see more through them that it. How often do you change a visor?

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 pm 

Ian Morton wrote:
How often do you change a visor?

I used to change them about once a year, until I realised that if you wiped them with nothing harsher than a well damped cloth (tissues are quite abrasive) they lasted longer. However even the newest of visors is no great help against the thin film of shite which gets onto them when riding on damp roads, and makes riding into the sun really exciting.

Sunglasses, tinted visors, photochromatic pinlock films - tried them all. The problem is that it is the contrast between the brightness of the sunny sky and the road itself which causes the real difficulties, not the overall light intensity. What you ideally want is a peak on your helmet, but it is not easy to find a full-face helmet which has one, much less one which doesn't make you look a total dork. On the Arai I wear on the Blade I have, after careful experimentation, put black plastic tape on the top of the visor. This means I can adjust my head angle so that the sun is obscured but the road is not. The Caberg I wear on non-sports bikes juts forward much more, and thus has a slight peak effect, and has an internal sunshield which can be lowered to the right level to block out just the sun. I cannot wear it on the Blade because that same 'peak effect' means that I have to force my head up uncomfortably just to see the road!

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 pm 

Thank you Chris.

Gaffa tape it is then!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 pm 
Thanks for a good turn out on Sunday. Really nice to see Chris back on the rides and thanks for being our back marker.

Ian - its black plastic tape not gaffa tape - that's too sticky to get off again...........Richard P.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:26 pm 

Thanks Richard