Home
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:16 pm 

Boys and Girls ride to Bourton on the Water – Sunday 17th August 2014

Not long to go now before our Boys and Girls ride to Bourton on the Water in the Cotswolds.

Although plenty of boys joined us last year, Audrey felt decidedly lonely being accompanied by only four girls so do please come along, Essex roads are great but you’ve ridden them so many times you could probably ride them blindfolded. Roads in the Cotswolds are rated right up there as some of the best in the UK. Yes, we know it’s a long day in the saddle but isn’t this why you ride a bike?

We’ve prepared detailed routes, both on paper and .gpx for sat nav if you have one. Email me if you’d like a copy, my email address can be found at the foot of page 41 in June’s issue of TUG. We’ve booked a coffee stop at the Buckingham Garden Centre and will have lunch on the green alongside the river at Bourton on the Water where free parking is available just a short walk away. It can be very busy; Bourton is a beautiful village, many brought sandwiches last year but there are several restaurants and a particularly good Fish and Chip shop in the center of the town available.

Our route will be 220 miles from Birchanger Services at Junction 8 of the M11/A120 returning to Birchanger Services. All members: Full, Associate (this is a good opportunity to experience riding in a group knowing you will not get lost!), riders with pillions and even Spider are welcome.

Audrey will lead the girls with Doug and Maz (BMW 1200GS) sweeping, I’ll lead the boys with Stephen Green (BMW 1200RT) sweeping. We’d appreciate some volunteers to lead and sweep should we decide to split into smaller groups; please let us know if you’d like to help.

We’ll meet at Birchanger Services at 09:00 and plan to depart by 09:30. Full tanks please. Our route will take us west on the A120/A507 but we’ll peel off through Woburn Deer Park before taking a cross-country, scenic route to Buckingham for Coffee. From there we take the A421 west towards the Cotswolds. We’ll ride the fabulous B4022, part of the Charlbury ‘Grand Prix’ route before making our way to Bourton on the Water. We’ll spend a couple of hours in Bourton before returning on a slightly more direct route to Birchanger.

Can you think of a better way to spend a sunny Sunday, riding with your friends, to the beautiful Cotswolds? Well, it’s not going to rain, is it?

Worried about the rain? Come along to the AGT on Sunday 10th August, I’ll be giving a talk on wet weather riding!

John & Audrey

Disclaimer: Please remember, you, the rider is deemed to be in control of your machine at all times during EAMG activities and you are legally responsible for your own actions. It is also your responsibility to ensure you have the correct driving license, insurance, road tax and MOT (if required) for your machine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:47 pm 

Sigh! For me it started well, but went a bit pear-shaped after Woburn. In retrospect I have pieced together that I ended up going South on the A5 through Dunstable, skirted Hemel Hempstead, Aylesbury and Leighton Buzzard, and then ended up at Dunstable again. Without the sun I had no indicator what direction I was travelling in. By then it was after 13:00 so I gave up and headed home, where it is now a sunny day. Pictures from Birchanger have been posted.

Guess I need to give in and buy a SatNav. I wasn't willing to use the smartphone navigation in the rain and my maps, whilst admirably waterproof, were not detailed enough.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 pm 

Well, home now safe and sound; I know it's 9:30 but some of us went for a coffee and a chat at Birchanger. No sunday roast for us today then! Our sincere thanks to everyone who joined us and our apologies for the cold and wet weather front that doused us on our way to Buckingham. Our special thanks to Jane and Smurf, the only girls to join Audrey, Doug and Maz for sweeping for Audrey and Stephen for sweeping for me. We hope everyone enjoyed the day and for those who haven't been to the Cotswolds before, we hope you enjoyed the change of scenery.

Until the next time, best wishes to one and all.

John & Audrey

ps Chris, I'm sorry you missed the marker I left waiting in the dead ground on the A5 roundabout but am glad you made it home to welcoming sunshine ok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:04 pm 

Thanks for a great days riding John.
Thanks for all the leading, to Stephen for tailending and to everyone for their company (even Spider lol :D )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:56 am 

Thanks guys and girls, it was a great day and the route out was very, very enjoyable. Full appreciatation given for all the hard work that went in to planning the routes...... Except of course for the last fuel stop (nothing to do with John & Audrey planning, this email is for banter only). :evil: While some of us were waiting to pay, everyone else headed off for home. The marker system generally works well if everyone plays by the same rules i.e. wait for the last guy. No hard feelings as I had my own sat nat . Two weeks past I spent 30 minutes marking a juntions on my own, when someone went wrong, but sayed at my post - that is the marker system. Definately not knocking the back marker - your not responsible for everyone (some 15 - 20 riders) but everyone else is. On your next ride pick a couple of buddies and everyone else pick different buddies - and watch out for them. 120 miles on your own with a sat nav = easy, without = slighlty longer if all goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:53 pm 

Hi Sting,

Please accept my sincere apologies for my woeful back marking in Bourton. Thank goodness you had sat nav!

In mitigation, it was a busy petrol station with a number of bikes from different groups mixed in with cars.

I missed you in the milieu, but hope it did not spoil your day too much. I owe you a large lemonade :D

Thanks to John, Audrey and Doug and everyone else for making it such a great day.

Stephen