Home
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FRENCH DAY RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 pm 

A Day riding in La belle Francais. :D

Sunday May 3rd 2015.

A ride of 140 miles ( in France) for all paid up members on the roads of the Pas-de-Calais region.
For those who wish to ride on “the other side” for the first time, this is a fine opportunity to do so, we use the marker system so no one is obliged to ride out of their comfort zone, in fact, you are encouraged to stay within it. For everybody it is a pleasant day over the water with a stop around mid-morning in the pleasant mediaeval market town of Cassel and lunch and re-fuel in Le Touquet on the West Coast and then up the West Coast back to Calais
We travel on Eurotunnel from Folkestone to Calais and return. You are responsible for booking your place on the train. The Eurotunnel website is easy to navigate around. Booking details are as follows:

Depart Folkestone. 07.50hrs. 3rd May 15
Depart Calais. 17.50hrs. 3rd May 15
Current cost. £30.00 return. The price tends to rise the closer it gets to departure date.

For any one wishing to join me for the ride to Folkestone, I shall rendezvous in the Car Park at Thurrock Services on the A13/M25 Junction leaving at 06.20hrs. There are refreshments available at Folkestone terminal (if you are early enough)
Remember: Drivers Licence, Bike Insurance, V5 Registration Document (Originals) GB plate, Passport, Train booking details, EU health card. Breakdown and Travel Insurance (Eurotunnel offer Cover) A first Aid Kit for Bike and Person is strongly recommended, even if you don't know how to use one or the other :wink:

Come and enjoy. :)

Please be aware;
If you booked a crossing with Eurotunnel before last week (8th April) the Company now require advance passenger information (API) If you haven't supplied it before arriving at the terminal you could be subject to a lengthy delay. They will also now make Passport checks on passengers leaving the UK. Happy days. :(

Geoff.

Post subject: Re: FRENCH DAY RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm 

Dear friends, please be aware;

If you booked a crossing with Eurotunnel before last week (April 8th) you need to supply the Company with advance passenger information (API) If you have booked and do not conform :evil: you could be subject to a lengthy delay when arriving at the terminal, furthermore, Border Control are now checking passports of passengers leaving the UK, have'm ready :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 am 

Route Plan attached.

Attachments:
Route Plan Cassel.doc [48.5 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:16 pm 

I have booked. It was not easy, with a card payment system which was temporarily down and the API details form with its invisible check boxes, but I think I got there in the end.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm 

Ah! you see Chris the early birds scoffed the easy nosh. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm 

The appropriate Map to cover this route is; Michelin 301. Pas-de-Calais, Somme. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:35 pm 

I regret that I will not be able to attend this ride :-( :-( I had a new rear tyre put on the KTM 3 days ago, and when I took it out today to check everything before the French run the rear was completely flat. Spraying soapy water everywhere revealed that the air was escaping from the spoke sockets, so presumably there was a fault with the sealing band which allows you to use tubeless tyres on a spoked wheel. I took it back to Watling Tyres and the guy who had fitted the replacement tyre took it off again (mostly for his peace of mind) and we looked at the band. It seemed perfect. The only place which might be suspect is around the valve housing, which has a sensor for the TPMS which masks the seating. That means a job for InMoto. The pressure loss is around 5 psi/hour.

I haven't used the Blade for three months, and I would not feel confident about taking it abroad without a significant shakedown run, even if I could switch the vehicle details on the booking and insurance at short notice.

So I wish you all a good run, and better weather than the forecast promises.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 pm 

Dear Friends

I could not write before as my account was not activated.

I had to abort my journey on Sunday as the weather got worse when I was riding in M20. I decided to turn back from Brands Hatch exit. Did anyone end up taking the trip? And today we had such a nice weather.

Hope there is another one soon.

Best Wishes

Levent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm 

Does anyone know how the ride went? So far I know of a No-Show (me, as documented above), a turn back, and one who never met anyone anywhere and, after Cassel, went off to Ypres. It is all very mysterious.

Regards
Chris J.