Home
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:14 pm 

I haven't done Hunstanton for a couple of years so before the clocks change and the weather breaks let's do it. The Full Member Social Ride this month will therefore be to Hunstanton a return distance of about 250 miles with a T stop on each leg and fuel at destination.

Please meet to leave Sainsburys Springfield Chelmsford at 9.30am. Ride to finish at Mac D's Boreham........................Richard P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 pm 

I remember Richard's first ride to Hunstanton in October 2006. The massed ranks of attendees (Fred and myself). The weather (downpour). Those were the days! I aim to attend it. At least the weather is currently forecast as being better there than here.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm 

Cheers for an excellent ride out today Richard. We managed to avoid any bad weather, with almost sunshine all day.

Thank to all who attended. Great to spend time in your company.

Special thanks to Audrey for being my visor cleaner, I really should remember to bring my own.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 pm 

It was a most enjoyable ride, and the sun instead of the forecast rain was the icing on the cake. 16 bikes. The route was good, and I promise I shall try to look it up before the TUG report, but there were plenty of enjoyable roads. As to stopping to eat just short of the seafront - who needs to see the sea; it is pretty much the same everywhere. Highlight for me was seeing John Tipper produce jump leads from his tailpack to get Ron's ailing battery to start his Aprilia. Apart from that it was pretty much incident free. Many thanks to Richard, and to Geoff for tailing. I carried straight on at Walkers in order to get to my sister's birthday party before all the food had gone, so I cannot say what the ride length was, but I would guess close to the predicted 250. Pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 am 

Great ride Richard and thanks from us both for organising and to Geoff for sweeping. Audrey, Ron (more later) and I parted from the group on the A143 when they turned left towards Clare.

Ron's battery was still not taking a charge and he would not have got home without refuelling so we stopped at Haverhill. Jumper leads again at the ready, we connected and nothing! The leads are lightweight but they had worked up to now but no sign of life. Side lights worked, instruments went through their normal boot-up routine but press the starter - absolutely dead; no sign of life. Must be a fuse? Ever tried to get the fuses out on an Aprilia? Ah, maybe the garage has some scissors we could use to hook them out. Glasses to the ready, checked each fuse but all seemed well. "Better phone for recovery". "Let's try just once more but move your bike a little closer so the leads aren't so stretched". "It's in gear"!!!! "B****r". It started! A quick blat through Finchingfield to Dunmow then we parted company, Ron heading east, Audrey and I heading to London. We arrived home at 7:30 having covered circa 325 mls.
Just what we needed in preparation for our forthcoming ride to Frankische Schweiz on Friday.

Later that evening, just as Rossi was deliberating whether or not to pit and change bikes 'again', a message arrived confirming Ron had arrived home safely. All's well that ends well but I wonder how much longer the April will don Ron's garage?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm 

Lovely ride as always, thanks Richard & back marker Geoff.

Massive thanks to my pit crew John & Audrey. I thought my day was over when I couldn't start my Aprilia just before Lunch & I wasn't looking forward to a journey back in a recovery van. Thankfully Audrey stopped & summoned John back via her Autocom. :D

Then lo & behold John drags out a set of motorcycle specific jump leads! :lol:

Not only that but, God Bless his heart, he helps me start it after fueling (twice) and a quick stop to chat at Walker's.
I can only apologise for not seeing the wood in amongst the trees when she wouldn't start because I'd put it in gear with the side stand down. :oops:

Safe to say that yet again I am immensely proud to know John & Audrey & quite solemn that they are rightly dropping their Reveiller Rides to tour privately.

As far as the Aprilia goes, Alan was bang on when he said the Alternator had probably gone. As with the previous model Aprilia like Alan's, the alternators are a weak spot & Wheels of Peterborough say they've seen a procession of RSV4's in for new Alternators, or bits of.

I left the Aprilia with In Moto Croydon this morning (fingers crossed, couldn't take the risk of riding it up to Peterborough with a dodgy alternator) to have it tested & hopefully get the ball rolling for a warranty claim. I checked the voltage myself & it was showing 12.77V when the bike was revved to 4500RPM...

50/50 about replacing it.
I've not done a single track day in a little over a year of owning it, so a more comfortable touring bike makes a lot more sense (I like the idea of the KTM 1190 like Chris Johnson's, or perhaps even the R version that I'd be more than happy to green lane the easier lanes in Summer).

But then about 4-5000 of its miles were on the Isle of Man or the Nurburgring & while a KTM 1190 will be just fine for that, the Aprilia is amazing. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:32 pm 

Thanks Guys - I thought it was a really good day on Sunday - well apart from Ron holding up proceedings but thanks to J & A it was all sorted and even the weather was way better than forecast. Thanks to my back marker Geoff who kept everyone in check - even those who tried to get away!.....................................Richard :D