Home
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:26 pm 

Sunday 14th August 2016

Used to be Boys and Girls ride but now a social ride to the wonderful Cotswolds region. Groups will be decided upon on the day depending on numbers.

We'll be meeting at 9 0'clock at Birchanger Services at the junction of the M11 and A120. Our tea stop will be Buckingham Garden Centre. There are several eating opportunities at Bourton on the Water but you can always take a sandwich, a flask and enjoy the ambiance 'on the green'. Expect to cover circa 220 miles plus your distance from home to Birchanger and back.

Garmin .gpx routes and printed routes are available so email me if you plan to join us and I'll send these to you.

We've arranged good weather so we hope you can join us.

I'm looking for volunteers to lead and sweep in case we have to split into smaller groups.

John & Audrey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:02 am 

Hi John, happy to sweep if needed looking forward to a great day. Doug maz :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:17 pm 

Hi John,

I'll help in any way I can. :)

Regards,

Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 pm 

Audrey and John’s Cotswold Ride - Sunday 14th August 2016

It’s that time again when you have the opportunity to leave the wonderful roads of Essex for the fabulous roads of the Cotswolds stopping at Buckingham Garden Centre for coffee and Bourton on the Water for lunch. We’ve arranged good weather (unlike last year) so why not join us, we’d love to see you all.

We’ll be meeting at 9 o’clock at Birchanger Services, Junction 8, M11/A120. For the benefit of Spider, that's Junction 8, not McDonalds at Junction 7!
All Group Members, Associates and Spider are welcome but please be realistic. Expect to ride approx. 220 miles round trip from Birchanger plus your distance from home to Birchanger and back.

Groups will be decided on the day depending on numbers.

Please Note: Bourton on the Water parking for motorcycles is free of charge at Rissington Road Car Park. However, the car park may be busy so please park considerately parking as many bikes as possible (safely) within each bay. Use adjoining bays if possible. Additional spaces are available in the vacilty of the recycling bins. Toilets are available on site. Bourton Town Centre is 400 yds. leaving the car park to the LEFT. We plan to depart 2 hours after arrival. Fuel is available on the A429 as we leave Bourton on the Water. We will also be stopping for fuel on the A421 at Buckingham,
160 miles from Birchanger. For those wishing for a quicker return route from Buckingham, you can take the A413 to Aylesbury, the A41 towards London and M25 East.

If you'd like copies of the route, printed or Sat Nav .gpx files, please email me. For those who don't know my email address, you'll find this in TUG (printed version) under the Full Member Training section at the rear.

Please Note: Mr Sod and his law is working well this weekend as he’s closed a section of the A507 between Shefford and Clophill, Bedfordshire. We have plotted a diversion at 33 miles on the outward route starting at the roundabout where the A600 to Bedford joins the A507 and at 189 miles on the return where the A507 crosses the A6 at Shefford. This diversion is included in the .gpx file but not in the .xls or .pdf files.

We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:07 pm 

I am starting to enjoy the traffic free and simply great roads on the west coast of Sweden so a back road ride to Oslo for me this weekend. Enjoy the Cotswold's. George

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:50 pm 

george brown wrote:
I am starting to enjoy the traffic free and simply great roads on the west coast of Sweden so a back road ride to Oslo for me this weekend. Enjoy the Cotswold's. George
Haha well done mate, like it.

Sorry John and Audrey, I am unable to join you as we will be away for the weekend. I hope you all enjoy the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:28 am 

Never missed this excellent ride destination. Hope the same goes for this year. If I can crawl on to my bike. Then by hook or by crook. The spider will ride. If the new guy is there that I sent the wrong way on his first ride at great dunmow. Please ask for spider and I will make an apology. Will try my best to not mess this one up. Ride safe, Spider.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 pm 

Many thanks go to John and Audrey for putting so much effort into today's ride. So good to see Audrey back in 2 wheels. Well done everybody today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:33 pm 

An excellent day. slightly overcast for much of the time, but warm and dry; ideal riding conditions. I counted 21 bikes. Two groups with John & Audrey as leaders. Good roads. For once it did not rain at the Garden Centre. Bourton was ... as it usually is. Nobody lost, and the A507 diversion which was further diverted was handled well by our genial leaders. About 228 miles. Many thanks to the Tippers. Pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 am 

Great to see everyone enjoyed the day.. The ride to Norway was great and I will post some pic on Fb later today. George

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:35 am 

I add my thanks to John and Audrey for organising and running this excellent day ride, a tremendous amount of time and effort goes into these activities and all the Group ride leaders deserve our thanks and support. :)

From my position of sweeper to Audrey's group I witnessed a day of well disciplined skillful riding, due in no small part to Audrey's balanced leading and understanding of the group dynamics. :D

My thanks also to Maz and Doug for the culinary delights produced from their mobile delicatessen,
perfik! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:03 am 

Our sincere thanks for all the positive comments, we're both delighted that everyone had such a great, albeit long, day.

Organising, running and leading rides is time consuming, especially when local authorities decide to close a crucial road for one day on the very day there is a major public event planned, on the obvious diversion. I'm always happy to organise rides, especially when those joining us enjoy them so much but my thanks must also go to Audrey who patiently keeps me supplied with tea and refreshments during all those hours spent at the computer.

We both love organising and running rides but we can't do it without the help of others so our thanks go to Geoff P and Peter Richbell for sweeping and Maz for the culinary delights. How everything fits on their NC750, I'll never know!

It was great to see Audrey riding the best part of 300 miles (home to home); she's only been back on the bike just over a month! It was also great to see Chris back on the bike after is spell of ill health, I'm sure I speak on everybody's behalf by wishing him a swift return to full recovery.

Twenty one riders in the mid August holiday season was impressive, it was great to see you all; we hope you weren't back home too late. For those who haven't been there before, how do you like the Cotswolds?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Thank you John and Audrey! Whilst I only went as far as Buckingham I thoroughly enjoyed my ride including the detours caused by road closures. I'm so glad everyone had a great time in fine weather. I look forward to the next one!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 am 

Thank you Geoff for your posting. I have taken some time to consider whether or not I should respond, however, in view of the first comment "what happened to advanced riding overtakes then?" made to me by a member of my group when we arrived at Bourton, I feel I should also express my thoughts on the ride.

Having been made aware of the associates that had joined my group with full members, I tried to adapt accordingly. Before we started, I had been chatting with some of the riders. Comments such as “its nice to ride in a group where you don't have to be playing catch up all the time” and the ‘two up’ who mentioned that “the pillion would enjoy the scenery” so as you say, there were a number of differing requirements. On stopping after our diversion escapade, I asked how you thought the ride was going and you felt the progress was sufficient and more progress was not required and I rode accordingly.

When approaching our left turn to Bourton on the lovely stretch of the A424 from Burford, we were approaching 4 cars following one another closely. To keep the group together in preparation for this turn, I decided to hold back and follow so I guess this was the reason for this comment to be made.

For our return journey, the last leg from Buckingham petrol station to Birchanger, it was decided that both groups would ride together, I chose to sweep. Riding at the back, I was unable to see how "my riders" integrated but I was riding at a fair rate of knots which I enjoyed. Having arrived back at Birchanger, one of the riders from my group commented that he'd enjoyed the day, especially on the return journey. This comment made it very clear to me that this rider was happy with the higher pace so what must he and some others in my group really thought about my sedate pace earlier in the day?

Leading a group of riders is a responsibility many would not even consider. Leading a group of differing abilities at the same time ensuring everyone enjoys their ride, is far more difficult. When leading a group, I would normally ride to the pace of the riders directly behind which in the most part I thought I had achieved. It may well be that this comment was made in ignorance of group riding “dynamics” but receiving such a comment disappointed me greatly as I felt I’d failed to give some the ride they had hoped for. This has saddened me greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 am 

Audrey Tipper wrote:
Leading a group of riders is a responsibility many would not even consider. Leading a group of differing abilities at the same time ensuring everyone enjoys their ride, is far more difficult. When leading a group, I would normally ride to the pace of the riders directly behind which in the most part I thought I had achieved. It may well be that this comment was made in ignorance of group riding “dynamics” but receiving such a comment disappointed me greatly as I felt I’d failed to give some the ride they had hoped for. This has saddened me greatly.
Audrey, it is a shame that anyone would make a negative comment on any ride, as you say many would not even consider to stand up and lead a ride.
When I have led rides I have sometimes made a point to mention that if any rider does not like anything about the ride they have a choice, they can either accept the way the ride is going or, they can ride on their own. If anyone wants to whinge then they should consider not riding within a group (That is the polite version)!

You cant please everyone.. chin up :wink: