Home
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

What fun there is to be had in the misfortunes of others! I missed John Tipper's Roadcraft talk completely because when I arrived Chris Reed was working to repair a puncture on his bike. As you might expect with Chris, this was bigger and better than your usual puncture. It eventually took both a mushroom plug and a lot of sticky string to repair the tyre to the extent of holding pressure long enough to get home. Since nobody else had planned a ride I suggested a run to the Street Cafe in Newmarket. Audrey worried about parking for 10 bikes there, and suggested the La Hogue Farm Shop on the A11 past Newmarket instead. She seemed slightly disconcerted when I promptly deputised her to lead us from Newmarket to it, since she knew where it was. It was a lovely day, for me the first of the year without heated jacket, and we got off to a good start in Writtle when a biker very positively indicated that we should take a turning to the right. We thought 'road closure' but it turned out another bike group were congregating and he thought we belonged to them (in his dreams!). Another masterly piece of deputisation got us back onto the 1060, albeit back in Chelmsford but I guess one should not look gift horses etc. etc. The route out through Saffron Walden and Linton was so standard that even I could not get it wrong. Just short of Newmarket we re-grouped, and Audrey led us to the Farm Shop. There we were joined by Chris Reed, on a different bike, and Wotsisname. I am not quite sure how but we ended up with Chris R. leading us back to a ride end at Dunmow via Lidgate and Haverhill. I was back marker, and at Dunmow Spider seemed to be convincing people that we needed to go to Leaden Roding. There some went off towards Sawbridgeworth for 'parts' and others back to Chelmsford. I was the last there when Chris turned up wanting to know where everyone had gone, so I think he had expected the ride to end at Dunmow.

The weather was delightful and we covered 102 miles. Some pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.