Home
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 pm 

Hi all.
April's social ride is to the world famous 'Comfort Cafe'(CB21 6AP) near Cambridge. All levels of rider are welcome, so get some experience of group riding using the marker system. Pace is set to the speed limits and riders comfort levels.

*Meet: Sainsburys Springfield (CM2 5PA) - main car park.
*Time: 09:15 to leave 09:30 sharp. - Note: toilets in Sainsburys open at 09:30 so if you need to go plan a stop at the BP garage down the road by MacDonalds.
*Destination: Comfort Cafe (CB21 6AP).
*Distance: 107 miles.
*Return point: New MacDonalds Regiment Way(CM3 3PZ) - near Chanels Golf Club. ETA MacDonalds: 13:45ish.
*Full tank of fuel.

Look forward to seeing you.
Mick and Alan.
07762 889408
07760 452993

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

I thought this place was now closed down. Didn't Chris take a ride out there, initially failed to find it, and then discovered it was shut down.
I just tried phoning them and no reply & the websites inoperative - does happen!
May be worth checking out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

Based on that same, painful, episode I looked on TripAdvisor and found that the last (unfavourable) report was posted four days ago, so it may well be open again.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:02 pm 

Hi Mick.
Would like to take a run over and say hello.
Can do part of the ride, but will head back early as I've been told I have a lunch to go to. :roll:

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am 

I visited the comfort cafe last Sunday- sausage baguette was ok. All clean and updated. Mark, your welcome to come and return early to get back. Regards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am 

I visited the comfort cafe last Sunday- sausage baguette was ok. All clean and updated. Mark, your welcome to come and return early to get back. Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am 

Ahem. Giving notice so early for a ride can pose problems for the weaker intellects among us. Two of us independently turned up for this ride this morning :lol: It was a fine day so it didn't go to waste.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:35 pm 

Chris, your so keen to get on the ride that you fell for the April fools that I didn't realise I set up! You always turn out but sometimes a bit early(and your buddy). Look forward to seeing you the end of the month.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am 

Hopping to join you - wherever we end up !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am 

Will take a long time if you hop :shock: better to take the bike :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

Fabulous day out riding to... everwhere. Great bunch of people and a good mixture of roads. Thanks especially to Alan who navigated us to a new lunch venue. Thoroughly enjoyed myself -living the dream -Chris J :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm 

This is a brief account of the day. Pay close attention. There will be a test on it afterwards.

Eleven of us assembled in Sainsbury's car park on a day warm and sunny enough to tempt me out without my heated jacket. Nice mix of familiar roads out through Linton to the Comfort Cafe which was, of course, closed. As on a painful previous occasion Alan was deputised to get us to the Duxford McDonalds which was, of course, closed (till system malfunction). Alan continued as leader, with Mick tailing, to find another McDonalds up towards Cambridge. Richard then had a puncture and Mick ended up taking care of him. With Yours Truly as sweeper we then rode 10 miles on the world's dullest road into central Cambridge, where the SatNav led us into a pedestrian precinct. Japanese tourists eager to take selfies with the bikes. Found totally unsuitable parking lace amongst hallowed spires outside a cafe, but were moved on by Someone In Authority pretty damned quickly, Finally ended up at a chippie in Trumpington which had just opened. Pies and saveloys OK but the chips were truly terrible. Alan let his SatNav take us to Linton, and then we were on familiar territory again. Run formally ended in a lay-by close to Channels on the A130.

Total distance almost exactly 100 miles. Pace unforced and, at times, funereal. Many thanks to Mick for leading (and tailing) and to Alan for tailing (and leading). I wouldn't have missed this one for the world. I cannot remember a ride when I doffed and donned my helmet so many times. Pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am 

Chris, good summary of a day that was full of 'sods' law! Anyway, Richard and I got back to the BP/Macdonalds to try to repair the tyre - expanded it a bit down the road with an emergeney canister. Forgot to mention that the MacDonalds was open by this time! Richard purchased a couple of cannisters of tyre gunk and filled the tyre. It held so we rode back at 45ish along the M11/A120 with hazzards on, so we had an even more boring ride that you!
I left Richard at Dunmow and wound the bike up a bit to make up for it - spoke to Alan later in the afternoon and he said you all had a wonderfull time and couldn't wait for the next ride!

One associate turned out - Robert for his first associate ride. Well done Robert. I promise the rides get better from now on.

Thanks to all for turning out.
Regards
Mick

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm 

Nothing wrong with the ride - things happen. It sounds like it was all slow but infact there were some super roads, especially the one leading back into Finchingfield and progress was made.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm 

Nothing wrong with the ride - things happen. It sounds like it was all slow but infact there were some super roads, especially the one leading back into Finchingfield and progress was made.