Home
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:37 pm 

I had hoped to do Hunstanton this month but with the clock change it is just too far. The Full Member ride will therefore be to Attleborough Norfolk. A new venue so not sure on mileage but around 170 with a 'T' stop on the outward leg and fuel at the lunch stop.

Please meet to leave Sainsburys Springfield Chelmsford at 9.30am. Ride to finish at Mac Donalds Boreham Services................................................Richard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm 

See you there

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm 

See you there

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 pm 

Hi sorry Richard can't make now family fun instead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:45 pm 

I Ope 2 b onit me ole chum. Wil b on my super duper tuned up flying Zelda machine she's got new booties . With a rev an a roar. I will ride wild like a Or .... Spider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm 

O wot a day. Massive loada bikers. Great riding. Fantastic cafe. Sun. Rain. Jill and Andy Punctures. Loads of banter. Some lovely bird at the back tail ending. Fank u. Our boy Richard out in front. Cheers 2u geezer. Got home about 6pm. Well happy. Let's go do it all again tomorrow.
Spider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 am 

With apologies to everyone for holding you up for so long. I picked up a bad puncture shortly after lunch and it took three plugs to fix it. I was very fortunate that Audrey was tail-ending yesterday. She re-called John on their radio and he came back and saved the day. Although I carry a Crafty Plugger kit, I didn't know the sticky stuff has to be replaced regularly and mine was useless and couldn't be used. I think John and Audrey should be on every ride, as between them, they have the kit to sort a lot of problems, including several tyre repair kits and a compressor with various leads to fit every bike. Amazing....

The puncture was caused by a small piece of flint that was shaped like an arrow head and was just as sharp. This caused a wide split in the tyre. If it wasn't for John, I would have had to be recovered, so thanks very much. I'm glad I gave you that Snickers bar in the morning now.

It was a shame about the persistent rain in the afternoon, as this made conditions a bit tricky. My tyre was deliberately over-inflated in case it started to lose some air and it made for an interesting rear end feel. I also had what felt like a huge slide on a slow right hand bend which was almost an under-pant changing moment. I went straight home and was very glad to arrive in one piece. Just need to see if the tyre can be repaired now.

Thanks to all the back markers for their patience as well.

Thanks to Richard as always for a great new route and venue. The café was great.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 pm 

It seems that with the clocks change everyone got up early and wanted to come out. Even Jill was early! So with 26 bikes plus some pillions it meant my lunch booking of a table for 12 was futile but a message was sent and the cafe responded admirably so even with 4 bikes leaving the ride early we sat 26 down for lunch. Lucky I'd chosen a large cafe. Food was good and service excellent so we will return.

Everything looked good for an early finish until I ran out of markers at Finchingfield but fortunately I was able to phone John who filled me in on the demise of Andy's bike. While we waited with the local markers Jill rolled up also with a puncture which was quickly fixed with Spider's string and Roy's pump so we were ready to leave when John turned up with all the markers he had collected.

My thanks to Audrey for tail ending all day and to Neil who did the last bit. I would also like to particularly thank all the markers who stuck to their posts for over half an hour until the repair group came along and collected them up. Had they vacated their positions the whole ride would have fallen apart and riders would have been left stranded for miles. So well done!

Chris - sorry you couldn't make it but John has some photos for you........................................... :) Richard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am 

It seems that I'm better at repairing punctures than I am at posting on this website. Having arrived home, in the dark, we sat down and wrote our piece on what turned out to be a most challenging but enjoyable ride to Attleborough but I must have hit the wrong button somewhere because it never got posted. Sunday's ride was most enjoyable even if a little challenging. But what we really wanted to say was a sincere thanks to the markers left standing for more than ½ hour on roadside locations stretching from Wymondham to Finchingfield; a distance of some 60 miles.

Alan and I were at the back of the group with Audrey when Andy pulled over. I just thought he'd forgotten to tie his helmet strap or some other minor problem so we slowed down. Alan decided to return to see if Andy and Audrey were OK so I waited; not for long though as Audrey was soon on the radio letting me know Andy had a puncture. With repairs underway I asked Alan to continue ahead to inform all the markers of the problem asking them to wait until we picked everyone up. I was approaching Wickenhambrook when I received a call from Richard who had run out of markers in Finchingfield! I let him know the situation and the rest, as they say, is history.

It's no fun sitting by the roadside but, as Richard has already said, had the markers left their position, riders would have been scattered throughout the Suffolk and Essex countryside. Well done all.