Would you like EAMG to have some extra-leisurely Social Rides
Great Idea! Would definitely go on them 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
OK. Might turn up for some 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
No strong feelings either way 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Do not really think we need them 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Hate the idea! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:51 pm 

There has been some discussion about whether some members would favour the introduction of a few leisurely social rides, with no pressure and a gentle pace. Suitable for newcomers, pillion passengers who were less than fanatical about biking, or anyone who just didn't feel like rushing.

This poll lets you indicate what you feel about the idea.

Chris J.

Last edited by chris_johnson on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 pm 

Certainly a good idea and i'd certainly go on one. Only one problem though, I often go out just for a leisurely ride then the opposite happens :( :( :(

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:24 pm 

chris_johnson wrote:
There has been some discussion about whether some members would favour the introduction of a few leisurely social rides, with no pressure and a gentle pace. Suitable for newcomers, pillion passengers who were less than fanatical about biking, or anyone who just didn't feel like rushing.

This poll lets you indicate what you feel about the idea.

Chris J.

Isn't the marker system meant to allow a ride to progress at the pace of the fastest and slowest rider (and all points in between)?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:47 pm 

Birota automataria levis wrote:
Isn't the marker system meant to allow a ride to progress at the pace of the fastest and slowest rider (and all points in between)?

Yes, and it is certainly an improvement on having everybody trying to ride at the same pace. I just wondered if riders who preferred a slower pace might not feel a bit pressured by being constantly overtaken, hence the poll to find if there was any demand. There is going to be some discussion about Social Rides in the next edition of TUG. I do not have any strong feelings on the subject, other than a wish to make the social side of the club as good for our members as we can manage.

Regards
Chris J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 am 

I'm one of the slower riders and I don't have a problem with the runs as they are. Generally I'll opt to tail end - as long as the ride leader drops the markers at the appropriate places it works well, and I have to say that FFB is an expert at doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:46 am 

I think the marker system generally works very well for riders of different paces. Chris did mention about doing a pillion only ride (although it would be good if the rider showed up too. :lol: ) I think a slightly more relaxed pace is a good idea for something like this as the pillion might not travel regularly on the bike and might find it more relaxing. Apparently some pillions prefer to view the scenery rather than the next apex :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:55 pm 

I agree with Paul, as I ride regularly with my wife as pillion. Although she is a very good passenger, she does dig me in the ribs (very painful at the moment) when I ride too fast (in her opinion, although after my recent accident, she may well be right!). These rides could be open to all, which would help to make the club more integrated. We recently introduced a couple to the club who we ride regularly with and he is now in the middle of his training. However, we can't ride with them on the majority of the club's social rides, which is a shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:07 pm 

Although the marker system works well I still think that having everybody in the group riding at more or less the same pace is the best idea for a club run. Leaving the marker at a junction for 20 minutes or more means that the group is spread out across nearly half the county.

On the Super Sausage Run we had four groups that were running at their own preferred pace. This number of groups is not practical on many runs where there are fewer riders but it might be better to have several smaller groups with different agreed speeds on many of the rides. A group doesn't have to be larger than 3 or 4 riders.

We have surely got enough map readers / GPS operatives in EAMG to make this possible.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm 

We have - but now ask yourself who has been leading the social runs this year... as always, it's the same few people.

The Committee has tried to address this by asking each Committee member to come up with a social run, hence the increase in runs this year.

Richard Parker (bless him) now also does a monthly ride for the Full Members - but I was the only person who turned up for his first one. Two people turned up his second ride. We've got over 200 Full Members - where are they all - and why don't they want to lead a ride? If anyone would like to let us know why, maybe we can address your fears.

It's great at the front - you get to go where you want to, and such power - if someone gets too close to you, just point to the kerb and they stop - whether there's a junction or not :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:29 pm 
I always wondered why I spend so much time at the side of the road!!! :lol:

Post subject: Post Subject
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:16 pm 
Thankyou Smurf. I was disappointed at the lack of support initially because as you know a lot of time and mileage is required to plan good routes. However I now regularly get about 12 riders so I must have it about right and that is an ideal number not to incur catering problems!

If some members prefer less progressive rides there is ample opportunity for them to organise and post as 'leisure ride'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:35 am 

We've got over 200 Full Members - where are they all - and why don't they want to lead a ride? If anyone would like to let us know why, maybe we can address your fears.

I'll put my honesty hat on in an attempt to answer Smurf's question. I pesonally have not yet had the courage to lead a ride partly because I don't think I know many interesting places, although with a little effort on my part I guess I could come up with something. The second reason is that I don't really feel confident that I could lead a ride at a suitable pace to interest some of the more experienced riders in our group, which I guess brings us back to Chris' original question.
I would also venture that it's always the same people leading rides for the same reason that FFB is continually voted chairman despite sometimes wanting a little break. They are a victim of their own success in that they have set such a high standard that others are perhaps a little nervous of living up to it. Just my own thoughts :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:54 am 

This is an interesting point - no, really it is :!:

What is a more leisurely pace :?: 50mph, 60mph or 70mph :?:

On my "Fun in the Forest" ride I never went above 70mph, and that was only very occasionally on straight roads. I personally had a very leisurely ride that day, yet hearing of some peoples speeds during the day wondered if I had set to fast a pace. Maybe I should have done no more than 50mph.

However, we all no that the ride leader will overtake a vehicle but that everybody else in the group will not be able to overtake the same vehicle at the same time (solid white lines, oncoming traffic, red lights etc etc). This then leads the group to get extended. It is the people in the group that make the ride a fast/progresive ride as they are tempted to try and catch up. If people don’t want to ride fast then don’t. We have these social rides for everybody, not just for either fast or slow riders. Chris Gardner (sorry for using you as an example Chris) does not ride like the proverbial Bat out of Hell, yet turns up on many of the social rides alongside many of who you can call the more progresive riders in the group. I like to think that Chris still enjoys these rides.

The point is, that it doesn't matter what speed the lead rider does so long as he doesn’t mind waiting. That then is his prerogative. It is upto the people in the group ride not to feel that they have to ride fast or to try and keep up. We always say at the beginning of each ride that each person should ride at his or her own pace – we mean it.

In Wales, Kelly was unsure of whether to do the tour ride the first weekend so rode pillion with me – yes we had a hoot. On the second weekend tour ride she decided to go on her own – yes I had a hoot. Kelly at first felt frustrated, but soon had the mind set of f*** them, I’m here to enjoy myself at my own pace – she did and had a hoot too. Did anybody in the group feel that they were hanging around waiting for to long or being held up – of course they didn’t. Everybody had a great ride at there own pace.

So I don't think that this is going to get anywhere, but it's a good point to remember when talking about slow or fast rides - it's what the rider makes it.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:13 am 

Spot on Punchy. I wonder how many of you will be surprised when I tell you that FFB doesn't exceed the limit when leading a ride. He appears to disappear into the sunset because he can read the road better than us mere mortals - same goes for John Tipper, Steve Shortis and some of our more experienced Observers. If you sit at the back and watch (it can be quite entertaining actually) people think "he's only got a 500, I'll catch him up on the straight". It doesn't work. They open the throttle as hard as they can, then have to break into the corner (if they are brave enough to show a brake light :roll: - another discussion I think). This can never match the smooth, flowing style of the more experienced rider.

One other thing you might notice when on a ride led by FFB - he's knows who's behind him and can see how they are riding (yes he has eyes in the back of his head and sees everything as many Associates will tell you!). If it's someone with less experience he'll slow down to their pace. As a ride leader there's no point picking off overtakes that the person behind can't. When you know there's a deviation in route ahead, you need number two behind you so that they can see your signal to mark the junction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:19 pm 

Smurf wrote:
Spot on Punchy. I wonder how many of you will be surprised when I tell you that FFB doesn't exceed the limit when leading a ride. He appears to disappear into the sunset because he can read the road better than us mere mortals - same goes for John Tipper, Steve Shortis and some of our more experienced Observers. If you sit at the back and watch (it can be quite entertaining actually) people think "he's only got a 500, I'll catch him up on the straight". It doesn't work. They open the throttle as hard as they can, then have to break into the corner (if they are brave enough to show a brake light :roll: - another discussion I think). This can never match the smooth, flowing style of the more experienced rider.

One other thing you might notice when on a ride led by FFB - he's knows who's behind him and can see how they are riding (yes he has eyes in the back of his head and sees everything as many Associates will tell you!). If it's someone with less experience he'll slow down to their pace. As a ride leader there's no point picking off overtakes that the person behind can't. When you know there's a deviation in route ahead, you need number two behind you so that they can see your signal to mark the junction.

I'd like to have his babies, too....