No strong feelings either way 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Do not really think we need them 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Hate the idea! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Not only, but also
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:39 pm 

Birota automataria levis wrote:

I'd like to have his babies, too....

and he knows what tyres you have got on your bike, even if you don't. Go on test him !!. It would be sad if it were not so impressive :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:42 pm 

Keith Boyles wrote:
I like to think that Chris still enjoys these rides.

Yes I do enjoy the rides Keith. My problem with the more progressive rides is not that the progress is made at the expense of safety but that the ride becomes too physically demanding. I like being with the group but if I am on my own I tend to ride some way below the national speed limits (except when making progress in traffic) and have frequent stops, usually every 40 miles or so.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:38 pm 

I don't do this very often so.....

OK I've submitted an article to TUG on this subject & I would imagine I may upset a few folk. However I would welcome comment on it - after you've read it.

I've come to the conclusion that in this part of my life the only safe place to be on a social ride is to lead or tail end it. I certainly don't want to ride in the middle anymore. I say "in this part of my life" deliberately cos I've led countless social rides and been on loads more in my time in EAMG.

There are some very good riders within the club but there are also folk, who I feel, compromise my personal safety. It seems if I leave a reasonable distance from the bike / car in front then these folk take it as an invitation to fill that that gap then overtake rather than overtake and stay out there. I'm happy to invite folk to overtake by running a left indicator

You have to ask yourself if you're in a tight bunch giving it some and the deer steps out into the road or someone hits a bit horse shit, will it all end in carnage. Having seen the mess a deer made to a car on the A507 awhile back........

Remember Roger Anderson wrote an article way back where he was the expert witness in a case where one member of a small group of riders had an accident and they prosecuted the whole group.

In the past folk seemed give others some room which doesn't seem to happen so much now. It's a bit like the cars on the A12.

Replying to nightworker Paul regarding his concern that he wouldn't be able to ride at a suitable pace for experienced riders. Forget it. I'm definitely not in these folk's league but when I led the ride last year to Bletchley Park I was aware that I had only 1 rider behind me entering Dunmow and so came to halt and cut the engine and waited for what seemed an eternity for the other riders to come into view. This happened a second time. On the way back on the A507 knowing full well that everyone knew where they were going I got the drop on them all and did my own thing knowing full well that some folk would be doing double my speed, but no one caught me up. So do it. I can give you some ideas if you want.

Kind regards to you all

Col

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 am 

Thank you for your offer Colin and apologies for the delay in replying. I would be interested in discussing some ideas. I will try and catch you at the next group night if you are there. :D