Home
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:58 pm 

Does anyone have experience of retapping a sump for an oversize plug or inserting a helicoil? Or know of anyone who could advise?

I thought I'd do a quick oil change for engine, gearbox and transmission on the Breva in advance of the bank holiday charity ride, but was horrified to find that the gearbox sump plug was stiff and would not run free. Sure enough, when the plug came out, so did most of the thread from the housing. It can only have been overtightened at the first service, as there was no sign of any corrosion or dirt. In some ways, I'm not surprised, as it is impossible to apply a torque spanner unless you remove all the cladding and sideplates, rear brake pedal/cylinder etc., so it's no wonder that the dealer probably didn't bother.

To get the gearbox out, the engine has to come out and I really don't want to do that - as I don't have the required lifting gear/cradle to support it, so I want to be able to do this in situ if at all possible. I've already had to dismantle half the bike to get a clear run at the plug for re-drilling.

Assuming that I can drill the housing reasonably true, and assuming that I can tap it carefully and trap the swarf to minimise risk, if I insert a helicoil, what happens to the tang? How can I guarantee it won't break off into the gearbox?

Anyone able to offer help?

Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 pm 

A helicoil kit will come with the correct size drill, insert and insertion key. Grease the drill to collect the swaff. to remove the tang grease a long nose pair of pliers and twist to break off.

Next time you have a very tight bolt/nut try tightening it a fraction if you a careful you should feel it give a little and then try undoing it by repeatedly loosening and tightening the bolt/nut a little at a time, apply WD40 as you go. By doing this you help to clear the damaged thread, hopefully it should come out.

If you are successful retap the thread to realign the threads apply grease first.

Tony S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I actually did the repair six years ago! I also made up a tool to remove the tang, too. The bike is now long gone and, two years after I sold it, the guy phoned me to ask why it wouldn't start and was asking for an access code! Apparently, someone entered one and it certainly wasn't me!

I think it must have been the same dealer who was responsible for the previously mentioned damaged and other problems that they never owned up to.

Never mind. Water under the bridge now, and all that.

Can anyone make use of an M10 helicoil kit with one insert missing?

Steve.