Home
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 am 

Lots of bods contact me as to the best method to do this:

No, silly, not "How do I dress for the rain?"

How do I do, this:

and this:

In other words, how do I embed a picture in a thread?

Well it's easy, so here goes:

Your pictures will all be on your PC, I hope.

You now need to get them to a place where the picture can be converted into something that EAMG's website can understand. The easiest way to do this is to use a 'Pictures hosting website' who will store your picture (or lots of pictures) for you. There are lots of these around. Some are free and some charge a nominal sum. Photbucket is a free site, for instance. I use Smugmug which costs a little bit but it is very reliable, not smothered with adverts and has some very neat additional features.

Once you have opened your account or space with a 'Pictures hosting website' you simply upload your pictures to it. With Smugmug this is as simple as dragging the individaul picures, or bunches of pictures, or video clips onto Smugmug's upload page. The Smugmug site does all the rest.

Once your snaps are safely stored on the 'Pictures hosting website' you can now share them with the outside world. In Smugmug this is really easy as they have a tab called, 'Share' followed by 'Get a link'......genius, I thought. Others' are less intuitive though. Anyway, whatever the method used you should be faced with a bit of goobleygook code like this http://hello.smugmug.com/photos/47777556531_NDeut-M.jpg This is the 'link' and it's what you need to copy. Smugmug makes this easy as you click on 'Copy'..... You can even choose whether you want a tiny, medium or huge size picture.

Now comes the next bit.

Armed with your 'link' go to the EAMG Forum and start a thread or hit the reply button. Above the box where you post your pearls of wisdom there is a row of buttons. One of these is called Img which is short for.... well I guess you are ahead of me..... Image.

Click on it and, as if by magic, two little bracketed words appear [img] [img]

You should see that the cursor is flashing away between the two bracketed like a bloke in a raincoat when the girls' school is chucking out.... This, unlike Mr Perv, is a good thing.

Now push Ctrl V on your keyboard to paste the link into the gap..... and BINGO! the job is done.... Hit Submit and your picture will be there for all the world to wonder at.

=====

It does take a little practice to get it right:

but play away as you really cannot break anything......

You can even cheat and steal another bod's picture:

That was easy. Right click on the picture you want to steal. A menu should pop up. Chose: Copy image location. Then repeat the Img, flashing cursor, paste malarkey as normal.

Have fun :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Good Post -

Thanks for taking the time to do it....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 am 

No problem at all.

What would be good is if the ability to embed (or better link to) video clips was somehow improved.

I (a complete IT numpty) might have a muck around with something like Dropbox, to see if that works. It has proved useful to share very large Mapsource .gdb files on another forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:24 pm 

Try Again, With a Proper GS.

Last edited by Les on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 am 

Les wrote:
Didn't work for me... :(

Sometimes life just isn't fair.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Got the photos from my French trip so just thought I'd try to follow Richard Nash's guide and post one showing the gear ready for battle![img]http:i1235.photobucket.com/albums[IMG]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff429/Richardparker2/Limoges2010051-1-1.jpg[/img][/img]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 pm 

Almost worked Richard :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 pm 

Looking good, Houston

Richard, if you look at the lines of code in your post you should be able to see that the [/img] [/img] bits are all over the place.

I copied http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 51-1-1.jpg and lobbed the code between the two [/img] xxxxxx [/img] boxes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:42 pm 
Been banned all week so now another attempt to post a photo. Thanks for all the help Richard Scotty and Ron.Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:57 pm 
Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am 

Richard, I see that you managed to post a picture OK.

Unless you have done it on purpose, the picture you posted has now vavished, being replaced by a box saying the pictire has been deleted. Just in case you are wondering why, here is the reason:

You uploaded your picture to Photobucket, where it will sit on their computer. The picure then has a unique address (the bit that starts http//........).

When you linked to it by using the IMG button, EAMG's own computer goes to look for the address and works out that it is a picture to be inserted. If you then delete the picture on Photobucket, the address stays live but there is no picture anymore. Think of it rather like your house address. It never changes but if the postman knocks on the door to deliver a parcel and you are not in, the postman has to go away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am 
Thanks Richard you make it sound so simple. My 'operator' Mags has checked and the photo is still on Photobucket. We will try again later.

It seems the postman came I was in but I didn't hear him!.............Richard P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:58 pm 

photobucket..test

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 pm 

Ok but try re-sizing it a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Some Epic failures, Some Success.

All I can say is don't give up guys.

Tip: The Image link goes between the {img} http://Insert link here.com {/img} tags.

I will look at the Flash Embed stuff. i need to do some Upgrade work on the forum to counter the Spam and Fraudulent Applications so will add in a flash module for youtube stuff then.

Alex