Home
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Squeaky brakes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:58 pm 

can i tap into the collective wealth of knowledge and ask how i can get rid squeaky front brakes. and possibly, what causes it.
so far i have had the bike serviced, including replacing pads. The tyres have been changed. I have smeared copper grease on the rear of the new pads. i have even tried a few "hard" braking exercises. But they still sound like a knackered old London cab.
Any advice, oh wise sages?

Post subject: Re: Squeaky brakes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 pm 

what bike tricky :?:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:40 pm 

Triumph Speed Triple - the new shape that they are still making in White :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm 

all i can think of is that a piston is sticking

if you paid to have it serviced i would take it back.

if you want to have a go yourself, remove the calipers and pads and with a soft tooth brush and weak solution of washing up liquid clean the pistons.
if you push one in the other in the pair should move outwards and vice versa. clean off any build up of crud dry and reassemble.

good luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm 

oh charming. that hurt me.. i got a knackered old London cab. my brakes dont squeek, but i do a bit. :roll:
there goes your free trip to the airport wen u go on holiday. :wink:

Tricky wrote:
can i tap into the collective wealth of knowledge and ask how i can get rid squeaky front brakes. and possibly, what causes it.
so far i have had the bike serviced, including replacing pads. The tyres have been changed. I have smeared copper grease on the rear of the new pads. i have even tried a few "hard" braking exercises. But they still sound like a knackered old London cab.
Any advice, oh wise sages?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:23 am 

Suffered for months myself, cleaning the pads, copper spray grease the works..
Mot time having a moan to the mechanic about it and was corrected about what is a common misktake..
with the pads out and de rusted - add a light smear of 'proper 'copper grease (from tin or tube not spray) to the back... but also the sides as it is the sides rubbing in the caliper that makes the noise.. i questioned the posibility of the grease getting on the pads :oops: :oops: , only to be told a smear of thick grease on the metal parts only will not melt or run on to the pads.. :wink: :wink:

This done i have not had a squeak front or rear since - give it a go.. and hopefully no more squeaks for you either

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 am 

Quote:
oh charming. that hurt me.. i got a knackered old London cab. my brakes dont squeek, but i do a bit

Oh crikey! i don't want to start making enemies of London cabbies.
What i mean is - the minority that do squeak, tend to make teeth rattle and ears bleed. I'm sure your cab is a beautiful example, smelling of Nordic pine forests, and an absolute pleasure, nay, almost an honour, to be in the back of.:oops:
(is that enough back tracking?)
Anyway, that's this weekends job sorted. A bit of fettling with the brake cylinders. Thanks Rob