Home
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:02 am 

I have a 2013 bmw r1200rt and would like to lower the rider footrests. I spoke to canons in braintree who do not have any factory extras for that bike and suggested touratech.

Checked on the touratech site and they only have a kit to lower the passenger foot rests. Also checked online and could only find kits in the US.

Does any one know if this is even possible, or legal for that matter. Even better if someone new of a garage / mechanic that could do it for me.

Many thanks

Mick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 pm 

Why do you want to do this & by how much do you want to lower them??

Kind regards

Col

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 am 

I was hoping to lower them about 1.5 / 2 inches.

When I go on long rides my knees really ache and feel that the position of my knee is too high. I have raised the seat to the highest position, but my knee is still higher or level with my hip and felt it might help if my leg was bent and my knee was bent and lower.

I remember seeing your bike with foot pegs which were prositioned in front, which looked quite comfortable. I dont think i could do this on the RT, due to the fairing.

It may just be old age creeping in but I thought the peg position might help.

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:48 am 

The problem/s of lowering the footrests is that you also have to alter the position of the gear lever & rear brake pedal + you have to really consider ground clearance issues when you corner - sorry to tell you how to suck eggs.

The knee problem for me manifested itself many years ago so I had the seat altered to take the "dip" out of it & it was raised by 4". The seat people initially refused to do it by that much until they actually saw me with the bike. I confess that when I first got the modified seat back I thought I'd made a hideous mistake but I simply couldn't ride the bike now without that modification.

For whatever reason much later I developed sciatica in my right leg which meant that I could only get the edge of my right heel to the foot peg so it was simply a case of either giving up motorcycling altogether or do something radical to the bike. The front fairing panels had to go. It was a case of trial & error to get the position right. Even a minor thing like having the forward pegs at 90 degrees to the frame resulted in serious knee pain so they are slightly inclined inwards. When I was finally satisfied I'd got it right I cut them in half and made up the one way hinge joint. Fortunately I didn't have to buy any materials since I have a reasonable stock of scrap stainless.

Following my accident last year I've got another ZZR of the, well almost same model & put the modifications on it. However due to reduced mobility in my right ankle I find its almost impossible to activate the rear brake & have tried different things, so far without success.

If I can be of any help to you come back to me as I have reasonable workshop facilities.

Kind regards

Col

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:18 pm 

Colin have you thought about thumb operated rear brake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:29 pm 

I don't know enough about thumb brakes. I sort of get the impression - maybe the wrong impression - that they are used mainly by racers. What I don't know is whether you can apply sufficient pressure through a thumb brake to achieve the equivalent braking force as you can through the standard foot operated brake. Anyone know the answer to that?? Can you apply sufficient pressure so that it would pass the MOT using a thumb brake only ???

Since I've retained about 98% of the old bike it has crossed my mind whether I could simply leave the existing rear brake assembly alone so that it passes the MOT but fit a second caliper & use the old front brake bits to operate it. That WILL require some serious adaption especially at the handlebar end!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm 

All I know Col,in is that there are several amputee riders using them on the Road,
So should be road legal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm 

All I know Col,in is that there are several amputee riders using them on the Road,
So should be road legal