It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Cheers Dave. I'll take you up on your offer
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

There will be at least 3 groups on the day. Richard Parker will lead one group taking an extended route to the cafe, Dave Iszard will lead a group and I will lead a group for anyone wanting a more relaxed pace and suitable for any level of riding ability.

Look forward to a good turn out on the day! Long range forecast for Saturday is very promising so far!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm 

THERE AND BACK

Having lead a group to the 'Super Sausage' and then consume (no not a super sausage) my sandwiches I will then continue a few miles north on the A5 to top up with petrol and return back to Essex . Anyone wishing to return with me can do so. The only reason I mention this is because previous years there has been some confusion about the return trip. Some will continue on the Silverstone loop and some will go on to the Cotswolds, both rewarding trips I might add. You can get your head around it now rather than wondering whats going to happen next on the day.
See you then, this event has attracted over 70 riders in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 pm 

Congratulations to Chris R., and Richard and Dave, for yet another successful run. About 46 bikes in three groups. I went with Richard's, and his route via Bedford and Stoke Bruerne was an interesting novelty. Virtually no rain (or sun) and the temperature stayed resolutely below 10 degrees. No known interesting incidents. Pictures have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 pm 

Having enjoyed a most pleasant day riding to the Sausage and then on to the Cotswolds and back, our small group rendezvoused at the A1 services to say our goodbyes and depart for home.

I was further enjoying the delight of riding the 507 down toward Buntingford when I had cause to check the mirrors as I approached a T-Junction, imagine my delight when they were filled with the wonderful Azzuri Blue of flashing lights quickly followed by the dulcet tones of a familiar sounding siren. I knew from experience that this was not a subtle invitation to pull over to the side of the road.

The officer dismounted his Beemer and his first question had me thinking he must be new to the area, it was, "what is the speed limit on this road" ? that seemed to satisfy him and he went on to explain that a colleague riding an unmarked VFR 1200 (nice bike) had passed me going in the opposite direction and, he informed his colleague, the officer now talking to me, that he thought that I might benefit from a friendly chat and that was how we came to be where we were now situated. He then asked me if I was riding with some other riders that he overtook down the road aways, I said "quite probably" he said we should wait awhile.

After a while the three other riders arrived at the junction and the officer invited them to join us and shortly after the unmarked VFR in red (even nicer) arrived. We all then had an interesting conversation, they spoke, we listened, and answered in the appropriate places. I have to say, much to my relief, that they were two fair and down to earth guys who offered some straight talking advice and guidance.

Their message was that the surveillance that they were operating on this stretch of the 507 would continue for several months and that we and anyone else should be aware.

The atmosphere was quite convivial and we went on to enjoy chatting about Law enforcement, bikes and related things and yes, I took on board the advice and guidance offered, very gratefully.

So, WE HAVE BEEN WARNED :!:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:27 pm 

My thanks to Dave Izzard and his wingmen, Ian and Phil, for leading our group to and from the Super Sausage Café on Saturday. A great time was had by all. I used to joke the sausages served at the café were the worst I had ever had, but the standard of the food this year has improved considerably since the last time I was there, so I have had to change my opinion on that one. So Dave, you missed a decent breakfast in favour of your sarnies!

Lynn and I really enjoyed the day and it was great to catch-up with so many old friends.

Thanks for the warning Geoff about the A507. I guess we were there much earlier than you were and we were fortunate to avoid the attention of the unmarked VFR and BMW, especially at one point between two of the roundabouts when a few members became a little frustrated with the progress being made! Glad you were let off with a stiff talking to, although I suspect courteous rider education will gain more respect for the Police than automatic penalties and points.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:21 pm 

Essex Police are being very good at putting out advice on social media (twitter, facebook etc) about where they are focussing.

After the recent Harlow riding caught doing 148 on the M11 with a pillion (he thought the undercover bike copper was after the bag of money he had on him!) they've advised that there's been some complaints about commuters speeding/filtering and will be giving that extra focus too.

Nice to have the heads up just in case the urge overcomes any one of us at some point to have a quick twist of the wrist. :)

I'm glad your A507 chat was informational and not backed up with paperwork. I wonder what the other three thought as they saw plod chasing after you :lol: