Home
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 pm 

My intended destination this month has been upstaged by a Hot Air Balloon Festival so unless the weather is bad we won't get in the cafe so we will do Rushden instead. A return distance of about 170 miles with a 'T' stop on the outward leg and fuel on the return.

Please meet to leave Sainsburys Springfield Chelmsford at 9.30am. Ride to finish at Mac Donalds Boreham Services................Richard P.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:40 pm 

Had a lovely ride of about 120m today - shame most of it was on my own! After getting caught up with associate ride and negotiating what seemed like hundreds of push bikes and race support cars , two of us missed the initial turn for Baldock however, we did manage to catch the others and grab a quick coffee. On leaving the services we filtered through a traffic jam and I spotted one of our group indicating right at the roundabout. Duly turning right onto A6 I did about 6miles not seeing anyone. Doubting my direction I stopped to ask and was assured I was correct to keep going through Bedford and keep right. Finally on the A600 I called Mr Parker who informed me I was heading in the wrong direction! I never did see marker but understand that rather a long time had lapsed. Sorry to anyone who had been dropped as a marker and was waiting for me. Hope all are accounted for and got home safe. Love Pooh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 am 

Well done all for your patience and perseverance yesterday in the face of adversity; large cycle races, horse boxes, missing markers, closed roads, diversions, filtering for what seemed like miles, the list went on. Thanks Richard for keeping your cool and seeing the ride through. Apart from the heavy shower as we left St. Neots, the weather was pretty good and the ride home was very good.

Many thanks,

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm 

Can I add my thanks to Richard for another enjoyable and challenging ride out with some added surprises along the way!! Thanks too for the back markers.

What I found interesting was once a number of us worked out we must have made a mistake there was always a difference of opinion where we had gone wrong and a number of solutions to how we could rectify it. All worked out well in the end.

Glyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 am 

Its a pity CJ wasn't on this ride. He could have filled his TUG column twice over!

Well it was a great ride back without incident well except for Doug and Maz taking the wrong turn within 100 yards of the cafe but then that's only to be expected!

The ride out was a nightmare of obstacles. In spite of my best efforts we again got mixed with the Associate ride and got in the middle of a huge cycle race with support vehicles and horse boxes. Once on the A507 heading for the A1 Services I thought it would be plain sailing but no I failed to mark where the A507 goes sharp left and yes someone went straight on the 'local road' and took over half the group (lesson learned). After a longer than usual coffee stop everyone was ready for the easy bit A507 A600 A6 to Rushden but no the A507 was closed at Shefford and we diverted through the town filtering past miles of slow cars. Unfortunately someone turned left in the town and took most of the group the wrong way but left no markers so poor Paula out sweeper was eventually on her own.

After a long wait on the A600 the front group moved on to Rushden where eventualy the rest turned up in dribs and drabs except for Paula who through no fault of her own had been abandoned and had to be given directions home by phone.

Sorry Paula - I think we may have to do this route again and get it right! Thanks to all for a good if testing day and to Neil for sweeping back...............................Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 pm 

Richard Parker wrote:
Its a pity CJ wasn't on this ride. He could have filled his TUG column twice over!

Yes, I would have regretted not being on it anyway even without those entertaining misadventures, but unfortunately my wife Mary was unwell and we had grandchildren to look after. However I think I now have enough information to paint a bit of a picture for the next events report :-)

Regards
Chris J.