Home
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:28 pm 

It wasn't an absolute classic of a catastrophic ride, but it had many of the features which have made the post-AGT rides so loved by our members. I thought we had only 5 participants so opted for the 'buddy' system. In fact there were an additional two bikes. More on that later. I had never actually led a ride to the Comfort Cafe myself but I was pretty sure I knew where it was. More on that too later.

The first problem was that some confused the buddy and marker systems. It wasn't until Leaden Roding that the two behind me turned out to be Geoff Preston and Associate. After a bit of muddle we switched to marker system with Jill as sweeper, Everything then went OK-ish until the Comfort Cafe unaccountably disappeared from the face of the earth. I had simply misremembered where it was, and ploughed on three miles past it, to the great confusion of the troops, all of whom did appear to know its true location. I was sorted out and led ignominiously back to it. This was an empty exercise, since the rumours of its closure turned out to be only too well founded. Alan was deputised to find the nearest watering hole since he had his SatNav mounted. We followed him to the A11/A1307 McDonalds. The journey back was flawless, except for one tiny little U-turn near Haverhill. We finished the ride at Dunmow after 86 miles. Everybody seemed happy enough, but it was a fine day. Pictures from AGT and run have been posted.

Regards
Chris J.