Coronavirus

Jill

Coronavirus

Post by Jill »

As a result of yesterday's announcement Writtle Community Centre and Channels are now both closed until further notice, I apologise to anyone who thinks the committee should have posted sooner. As our next Group Night is 2 weeks away I anticipated the venues would close and the decision be made for us without discussion.
I've just read Geoff's post on group riding during these unusual times and agree completely. Yes riding our bikes does seem a safe activity but seeing a number of bikes riding together would seem arrogant to most members of the public. For that reason I don't think we should organise any group rides.
I know Chris has completed April T.U.G. and it should be published soon. Hopefully we will get a June issue so please send in those articles.
Keep posting on facebook and the forum while we exist in this virtual world.
It's going to be a tough few months, and my thoughts are with those with family and friends who are at risk.
Stay Safe x
Jill Winn
EAMG Chairman
Jill Winn
EAMG chairman
Jill

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jill »

I hope you and your families are keeping safe in these unusual times. Yesterday we should have had a committee meeting and by various means we talked and messaged. Following Government guidelines we will not be resuming any EAMG activities in the near future.
The below is Government guidelines(England) allow an individual motorcyclist to go to a destination for recreation as long as they observe social distancing - no more than one motorcycle. Please read on before you put your helmet on!

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced changes to the Government’s Covid-19 response, altering the message from ‘Stay Home’ to ‘Stay Alert’ and many motorcyclists are asking what this means to them.
Having spent seven weeks in ‘lockdown’ many bikers are itching to get out on a ride and, for those based in England, they are now able to head out on a ride for fun from tomorrow (Wednesday 13 May).
Despite some suggestions to the contrary, motorcycles were never ‘banned’ during the lockdown, however unnecessary journeys by any form of transport were. Motorcycles could still be used for essential journeys, such as going to work, for voluntary work or to buy shopping, but non-essential journeys – such as simply going for a blast or heading out to a biking hotspot were not allowed and could attract a fine.
The relaxation of the rules has changed that, in England at least, and now citizens are able to ‘drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance’ as long as they respect social distancing when they get there.
The term driving has also been confirmed as including motorcycles, meaning that riders in England can go for a leisure ride as long as they respect social distancing at their destination. Riders should not ride in groups, as social distancing means that you must only ride on your own or with members from your household.
It is important to note that the other nations of the United Kingdom have not changed their guidance, and therefore riding in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales remains on an ‘essential journey’ basis only. The rules have not changed for riders in those countries, and riders are not permitted to head over the border from England into Scotland or Wales on a leisure ride, and vice versa, and will risk a fine if they do so.
I’m in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Can I ride my bike?
Yes, you can but only on an essential journey. This has currently not changed, so you can ride directly to and from work, to do essential shopping, to get medical assistance or to provide assistance to a vulnerable person. If you are caught riding (or indeed driving any vehicle) and it’s not for one of the aforementioned reasons, you may be fined and ordered to return home.
Should I ride my motorcycle?
Only you can answer this question. Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should and just because the regulations have been relaxed it does not mean that the virus has been eradicated.
The virus is still in the community and the guidance in all four nations is to stay at home unless you have to go out, even though Prime Minister Johnson’s guidelines gives more personal choice to those in England. If you do choose to ride your bike in England it is advisable to follow the social distancing guidelines, indeed failure to do so can result in a £100 fine. This means that you should avoid large gatherings and maintain a 2m distance between yourself and anyone from outside your household. Care should also be taken when filling up with petrol, for example, and riders should ensure that they wear gloves and regularly sanitise their hands and riding equipment.
One area where riding may be beneficial is for commuting to work. The government is encouraging those who cannot work from home to get back to work, while also advising commuters to avoid public transport – as capacity will be restricted and social distancing will be difficult to maintain.
The government is encouraging workers to walk or cycle to work, but commuting by motorcycling has long been proven to be good for mental health, allowing workers to reduce the time it takes them to get to work and enjoy a flexibility that’s not possible with a bus or train. With a summer of disruption ahead, maybe now is the time to think about commuting to work – especially during this period of good weather.
Commuting by motorcycle is a naturally isolating experience, with riders typically wearing their own protective clothing. If you don’t usually ride to work, please check with your insurance company to ensure that you are covered for commuting purposes.
Jill Winn
EAMG chairman
AndyLee

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AndyLee »

Thanks Jill, that's very helpful advice.

I have always felt that a sole ride without stopping anywhere, apart from perhaps the petrol station, would not have created a risk of infection but, like a true Englishman, I have followed the rules to the letter (perhaps I have some German ancestry somewhere down the line....).

A week or so ago, my bike mechanic was stopped and berated by the pedal cyclist whilst he was road testing a bike used for essential commuting, so you never know how people are going to react to us.

You have to watch the cyclists (excluding John Tipper of course!), they can be quite dangerous when riled....

I hope everyone enjoys their new freedom, but remember to allow yourselves a bit more time and space, as we are all going to be a bit rusty.

Andy