How is Everyone?

phil reader

Re: How is Everyone?

Post by phil reader »

I have been smiling and struggling this week due to the fact that I had a planned trip to Moffat and the Scottish borders arranged, this fantastic weather has got to me. Typical.
What is making me smile is that I won't care what the weather will be like when I can go, I'm going to ride and smile the whole way there (and back) !! :D

Oh and only a few more weeks to a decision , waiting with baited breath.
Mick Hewitt

Post by Mick Hewitt »

Phil, yes it's frustrating waiting for a light at the end of the tunnel.
We're all staying positive and hoping this virus will slow right down and return us to normal life - stopping the awful death rate will be a turning point. Been some great community spirit supporting those that need help and thanking the NHS/Carers and other support workers - bin men, delivery guys, supermarket workers and all the others still out there. Not sure how long it will take to get back to 'normal life' though! Great to see Captain Tom raising millions on his 100 laps of his garden. So many heroes come out in a time of crisis.

The only thing that hasn't changed to tackle this pandemic is Trump's approach - blame everyone else and forget the rest of the world!

Look forward to seeing you in the near future and everyone else.

Stay safe.
Regards
Mick
Geoff Preston

Post by Geoff Preston »

Mick,I echo your comments regarding the people who are putting themselves in harms way in order that the rest of us can continue to receive the vital services we require during this time of need. One would like to believe that when we come out the other end, we may reflect on the core values that make up a caring society but I won't hold my breath (given that I still have some to hold) :)
You may be being a little hard on the new JC. I heard on the radio this morning that workers in several States were agitating to return to work and the Mighty One is backing them, what Statesmanship. Oh! silly me, forgetting it's election year. :twisted:
Keep on keeping in.
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

Hi All, I’m really sorry that I’ve been rather quiet. After searching empty supermarket shelves for disinfectant, Audrey tried to inject me with the Chump’s immunity cure for Corvid-19. Despite a very sore backside, I’m still here and keeping well.

I’ve been thinking. I must have done something really, really bad! Along with several others, I have a new bike in the garage. I bought it in January, collected it in the van and had it registered from 1st February. I spent four weeks fitting luggage racks, sat nav and all the comms. I did the first 600 miles, in comfort mode, in foul March weather, having to wash the muck and salt off after each ride. Jim Aim completed the first service and unleashed the limiter and Audrey and I went for a ride. I really found out what this bike is all about arriving home with an enormous grin. Next day, LOCKDOWN! It’s been under a dust sheet ever since. Like Phil, this fantastic weather has added to my frustration. We’ve had what is said to have been the best April weather for 300 years (I didn’t realise weather records went back that far) so how cruel is that? I must have really pissed someone off!!!

However, Audrey and I have stayed isolated and are getting on with our new existence. My job list is getting shorter and I’ve just completed the installation of two Gerry Can mountings in the Sprinter. Took over a week as I’ve have to relocate two of the rear tie downs that I use for the bikes. For me, I get immersed in the job in hand but Audrey is really missing her riding and not being able to mix with our friends. Apps like Facebook, FaceTime, Instagram and WhatsApp are all well and good but not the same.

We’re both exercising. I use my loft gym every other evening and our near daily walk around Trent Park has been enjoyable in the glorious weather. Yesterday, my weight was ¼ lb under 11 stone. Last time I was this weight, I was on skates! All in all, we’re very lucky; every day seems like a Sunday. We cannot imagine what it must be like isolated in a flat!

Good to see Boris back, Captain Tom has been incredible and our eternal thanks go to the NHS. Who cares if the bikes have to stay in the garage for a while longer?

Stay safe.

John and Audrey
Mick Hewitt

Post by Mick Hewitt »

Well, I've been busy doing many jobs, especially in the garage, and find myself sitting in the garage thinking of things to do! On the KTM I've removed belly pan, crash bars, rad cover, fuel tank, rear carrier and bodywork. Had a good clean up underneath and decided to fit a Denali horn to replace the poor KTM OEM. Also removed the carbon cannister to give storage room under the seat. All cleaned and back together.
Have got back to running now - over the fields with my dog alongside(2m apart from me). Really enjoying the running.

Also, doing shopping trips for vulnerable people - my, brother, neighbours, mother in law - so mask on and into the supermarket.

I think there may be the start of relaxing the lockdown at the May meeting - very gradual.

Hope everyone's safe and look forward to seeing you all in the not too distant future.

Regards
Mick
chris_johnson

Post by chris_johnson »

My wife and I have discovered a new use for my collection of neck tubes, which were languishing unused.. They make excellent improvised face masks. If only we had some guns we could rob a stagecoach or two!
A new link for my archive of historic EAMG photos will appear when available.
Geoff Preston

Post by Geoff Preston »

A couple a Banana's painted gunmetal grey should do the job Chris. :twisted:
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

To ride, or not to Ride: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer mentally being locked down or place arms onto the bars of pleasure opposing them.
To die, to sleep; no more; and by sleep to say we end the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks when we are grounded.
Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rib; for in that sleep, what dreams may come, when we have shuffled off this mortal dilemma.
Must we pause and reflect the calamity of current life in lockdown?
Who would bear the whips and scorns of time?
Are the oppressor’s wrong?
We’re proud and responsible riders, so please let us ride.
phil reader

Post by phil reader »

John Tipper wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:10 pm To ride, or not to Ride: that is the question:

We’re proud and responsible riders, so please let us ride.
John, have you been out on your bike ?
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi All
I’ve been too quiet I guess. My nature is to keep busy. Not good at doing nothing. Compulsive volunteer!
How do I keep busy in a lock down world?
You may know I’ve been a CFR (Community First Responder) for many years. Coincidentally the same 13 years I’ve been a member of EAMG.
So as a CFR I was asked to take on Patient transfer training. 2 days driving and a day manual handling( gently moving patients for home to ambulance). To be told we probably won’t be needed.
I volunteer at Southend Hospital, get the Tshirt and the ID badge but not asked to do anything.
In the meantime 50m of artificial grass laid, vegetable patch dug and planted, 70m of laminate laid indoors.
Recently volunteered as transport coordinator for VRUK which consumed me for a couple of weeks. But that quiet now.
Today I relaxed for the first time. In the sunshine sitting on my swinging seat. Reading posts on here. Why can I relax? Because i know life will return to normal. I Can hear motorbikes heading off to the Burnham bends. I’m not riding for pleasure yet...just doesn’t seem right with so many out there still frightened and others risking their lives for our future.
Stay safe all and hope we can all meet again soon.
Jill Winn
EAMG chairman