To Ride or not to Ride

Geoff Preston

To Ride or not to Ride

Post by Geoff Preston »

Having sat and watched the distressing video of a medic who visited a supermarket on her way home from work only to find the shelves stripped bare, I considered if my own actions in the present situation were all that they could be.
As I deliberated I was content until I got to consider my intentions for next Sunday. After much thought and soul searching I had convinced myself that providing I complied with the directions to maintain a safe distance from others and avoid physical contact, then all would be well to take part in the proposed ride.
What I hadn't thought about , given the expert advice, was that I would be taking part in a gathering and the message that that would send to other members of the public. A group of bikes rolling along the highway is not exactly low key and always draws attention. The action would fly in the face of the appeal not to attend group activities and a group of bikes is an activity!
There are those who are confused by the lack of clarity and advice from the authorities and I understand that but, when I ask myself is this something I want to do or something I need to do there is of course one blindingly simple answer.
Yes I shall be out riding on Sunday and other days but I'll be alone safe in the knowledge that I am doing what I can to help myself and others.
Whatever actions you take or don't take. I wish you well. ;)

PS. It's just a ruse to get out of buying the cakes as you see, it's my birthday :D
PeterF

Re: To Ride or not to Ride

Post by PeterF »

I wholeheartedly agree Geoff. The committee seems to have been signally silent on coming activities. Incidentally happy birthday!!
SimonE

Post by SimonE »

Hi Geoff,

Completely agree - I ventured out on Wednesday and again yesterday but kept my helmet and gloves on even when filling up. I like to think I was being careful and others may say that just going out meant I could have picked up the virus on my clothing and brought it back into the house. As riders we naturally have a higher risk threshold, however riding alone, avoiding contact with others and taking all sensible precautions is a risk that I am prepared to take. Each to their own, I do not want to make decisions for anyone else, and respect their right to make their own choices.

Keep safe one and all and hopefully see all of you on the other side.
S
Geoff Preston

Post by Geoff Preston »

Thanks Peter ;)
Mick Hewitt

Post by Mick Hewitt »

Geoff,
Came to same conclusion, although hard decision for me - miss the riding with the guys! It was the last ride out of EAMG and, now it's quite clear from this week on, so I understand the reasons and don't disagree with the final ride. All sat on a separate table and followed the guidelines so sounds like a pretty responsible ride, and being a small group not too much attention.
Look forward to riding with you all when the virus is beaten!

Take care.
Mick