Help requested to source a rear mudflap

John_Murphy

Help requested to source a rear mudflap

Post by John_Murphy »

Hi all. While you are all fretting over getting bikes fettled for next month (we hope) I wonder if anyone can help with a query of mine. I want to make a rear mudflap for my newly-acquired Triumph Explorer 1200 XRt. Having ridden in some fairly foul and not so foul weather so far this year (yes I know we are on lockdown but it is my work bike) I have never come across a bike like it for flinging muck off the rear-wheel and all over the top-box. As the lock and opening mechanism are directly in the line of fire I am worried that muck and grit will foul up the works!
So, I am looking for reinforced rubber sheet to make a mudflap. There's plenty for sale on-line but all the ones I have seen have minimum order requirements and hefty shipping costs. Can anyone suggest a likely source? Has anyone got some taking up space at home and could pass it on to a good cause - with payment if required?
I have tried a commercially-available 'fender-extender' which looks great but doesn't do the job so now I am thinking a great ugly lump stuck on the back will have to be the route I take. I am thinking of a piece approx 240mm wide and 300mm long. By all accounts it has to be about 5mm thick.
Any suggestions/help gratefully received.
SimonE

Re: Help requested to source a rear mudflap

Post by SimonE »

Hi John - Not tried it myself but what about a rubber car mat as a donor? Should be easy to source one cheap enough.
John_Murphy

Post by John_Murphy »

Good thinking Simon. Thanks
Spider

Post by Spider »

I had same problem with my trumpet exploder. I put a long mudflap on the back and due to me riding at warp speed or being bumped the tyre wore it out on a Rideout. The other option is to get someone with to much time on their hands like my mate Tony who puts stupid posts on here about sandwiches Rideout's etc etc to fabricate one from mental (Oops sorry Tony trying to think of you in a positive way) metal that bends out and looks good. He done me a good fabrication. See me at club and I'll have a word with him. Spider
John_Murphy

Post by John_Murphy »

Thanks Spider. I have made myself a rubber mudflap, I'll see how it goes.