First European trip

peterbennetive

First European trip

Post by peterbennetive »

Lee and I are are booked for our first European trip next week. We will be taking the Dover to Calais ferry, riding up through Belgium to Germany ready for the German MOTOGP weekend. Then maybe Luxemburg and onto Holland for the Dutch MOTOGP weekend with a night ferry back to Harwich. A nice 2 week break with no planned route as will be stopping anywhere along the way for a B&B until we reach our weekend destinations.

I know that we need to take licence, log book, insurance, Mot, with photocopies, covid pass and passports. I've arranged my AA to cover for abroad. Just serviced the bike including new tyres and brake pads and we will be doing a pre-packing of clothing etc today. 

Does anyone have any advise? I know that I must must must remember to ride on the right.
John_Murphy

Re: First European trip

Post by John_Murphy »

Have a great trip, it sounds well thought-out. Only advice I can provide is to remember filtering is illegal in Germany.
rjwojcik

Post by rjwojcik »

Is that joining a motor way or when two lanes go into one, or both?
peterbennetive

Post by peterbennetive »

I believe they allow you to filter stationary traffic but not moving traffic.
michelcouque

Post by michelcouque »

From my experience No filtering in Germany! Bear in mind drink drive limits are much lower than UK in Europe. No special advice needed but just mix in riding wise with what everyone else is doing, don’t stand out like a sore thumb and enjoy. Respect urban speed limits especially. Max speed on the autobahn gets boring after a few minute’s, drivers will pull out just infront when you are doing 150mph AND there can be much faster traffic behind you too.
phil reader

Post by phil reader »

Hi Peter, Re the Autobahns in Germany, they are not all derestricted all of the time, watch out for speed limits as speed traps are sometimes in the limited stretch ie 100 KmPH.

I would also make a note of the emergency telephone numbers for each country that you are riding through.

Good Luck and I hope you both have a great trip.