Audrey and John's Ride to the Cotswolds 2021

John Tipper

Audrey and John's Ride to the Cotswolds 2021

Post by John Tipper »

Audrey and John’s Ride to the Cotswolds - 22nd August 2021

Well, good old Boris has lifted just about everything so our 2021 Ride to the Cotswolds is on. However, we have to make sure the refreshment facilities we plan to use are able to accommodate us. With this in mind, could we please ask those intending to join us, to send us an email to john@reveillerrides.co.uk so we have an indication of numbers. It would also help us to know which group, Audrey’s or John’s you’d like to join.

We will be announcing the routes and refreshment facilities in due course but should we encounter difficulties, it would help us if you could let us know if you’d be happy to take a packed lunch.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Safe and enjoyable riding.

Audrey and John
peterbennetive

Re: Audrey and John's Ride to the Cotswolds 2021

Post by peterbennetive »

Hi Audrey and John. Lee and l may be up for this. Can you let us know what it is. Is it a day or weekend trip?
Cheers.
Peter B.
Spider

Post by Spider »

It's a day trip John leads a quicker pace than his bird the one and only Audrey. Hope that helps
peterbennetive

Post by peterbennetive »

So what are the normal timings and mileage?
Spider

Post by Spider »

Let's put it this way. You won't be back for lunch and it's a lot of miles and :D . So let the back marker know and go home when you want. Howzat 4a reply me ole china
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

John and Audrey’s Ride to the Cotswolds – Sunday 22nd August 2021

It’s been two years since we last ran our August ride to the Cotswolds but this year we’re able to visit this stunning region again.

Some newer Members and Associates have asked for further information so for those new to the Group, our Cotswold ride is open to both Full Members and Associate Members of the Group; John leading Full Members and Audrey leading Full Members, preferring a more leisurely pace, and Associates. We will not be able to take Non Members unless they have been approved as a guest.

Our route this year will be the same for each group. Due to Covid restrictions, it’s not practical to use our normal refreshment facilities so the coffee stop will be a Costa Coffee ‘drive through’ and your picnic lunch on the green at Bourton on the Water.

We’ll provide a printed route and .gpx file for those with Sat Nav. Our route will be 223 miles plus your ride from home to and from Birchanger Services, at M11/A120 Junction. Please be realistic, ensure you are comfortable with this mileage before joining us.

We can’t think of a better way to spend a sunny Sunday but bring the wet suit just in case!

Hope you can join us.

John and Audrey
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

John and Audrey’s Ride to the Cotswolds - Sunday 22nd August 2021

Despite the recent appalling weather, more suitable for ducks than bike riders, we’ve had a great response to join our ride this year. The routes have been planned and available as an Excel spreadsheet and .gpx file for those with Sat Nav’s. Email me at anthony@reveillerrides.co.uk and I’ll send these to you.

Guests who have contacted us are most welcome to join our ride and will receive the routes by email shortly.

We’ll meet at Birchanger Services, M11/A120 junction, for a 9 o’clock briefing. Please arrive with a full tank of fuel. We aim to park by Starbucks Coffee within the Birchanger complex.

Our 114 mile outward, scenic route includes a stop at Costa Coffee, Buckingham, at 68 miles. Toilets are available at Tesco opposite. We continue, via the Bibury Loop, to Bourton on the Water, a further 46 miles. We’ll use Rissington carpark (toilets available). I’ve ordered a fine sunny day so the carpark is likely to be busy so please park your bike considerately. It’s a short walk to Bourton on the Water centre which has a large central green area adjacent to a trickling stream. Refreshments are available but you may prefer to take your own picnic lunch. We’ll plan to leave after 2 hours.

We’ll refuel leaving Bourton on the A429, 1.7 miles from the carpark. Our return route via Stow on the Wold, Chipping Norton and Buckingham to Birchanger, is a distance of 106 miles. We have encountered possible deviations when reccying the route and will ride it again a few days before.

We’ll be riding in two groups. Audrey will leave first with Associates and Full Members who prefer to join her followed by Valentino John’s group. Yeh, in your dreams! Audrey’s Sweeper for the outward leg will be brother Doug, Stephen Green will sweep for John. In the event of any mechanicals etc. wait for the Sweeper to come through. Leaders and Sweepers are on radios and have each other’s mobile numbers.

We all look forward to sunshine and a great day’s riding.

John and Audrey
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

No matter how carefully a route is planned, something may still go wrong. Audrey and I checked our route again today looking for road closures, deviations and other potential problems. Well we found one! Bourton on the Water was ‘heaving’! I mean really heaving! The green was standing room only and bike parking well nigh impossible.

We have therefore decided to move our lunch stop to Cotswold Foodstore and Cafe at Stow on the Wold. No need for the picnic, we can get lunch here. Our fuel stop on the return route will now be Chipping Norton, 131 miles from Birchanger. Please let me know if this is beyond your bike's range.

The outward route is now 118 mi and the return 102 mi. I’ve amended the route so email me at anthony@reveillerrides.co.uk and I’ll email the .gpx file to you.

Oh, there are toilets at Costa Coffee, Buckingham so no need to go to Tesco opposite.

We look forward to seeing you on Sunday 22nd.

John and Audrey
John Tipper

Post by John Tipper »

Good News, Audrey is delighted that we will be stopping at Buckingham Garden Centre, just 1 mile beyond Costa Coffee Drive Through, for coffee.

Unfortunately, Doug's father in law is unwell in hospital so he and Maz will not be able to join us. This means that Audrey's sweeper will be Stephen Green. Therefore I'm looking for a volunteer to sweep for me.

Enough with all these changes, the weather forecast is looking quite good so we look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

John and Audrey
chris_johnson

Post by chris_johnson »

I would be happy to sweep for you, John. I shall not be offended if you find someone better (or with a radio)!

Regards
Chris J.
A new link for my archive of historic EAMG photos will appear when available.